18 | maneuvers

" If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun

" If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."

- Katherine Hepburn

✰✰✰

As Hazel went home that night, she thought a lot about what Joe had told her. He just wanted his mom to be proud of him, for doing something for himself for once, but he couldn't help but look past on all his mistakes from long ago. 

It seems the war was good at doing that. 

Making you reflect and regret.

But Hazel just wasn't making friends with Joe, even though she felt closest with him, there was George Luz, Don and Skip, Chuck and Floyd, and especially Shifty. And of course Bill and Joe, who were like those tough, but soft uncles you had on your mom's side. 

The days were getting longer again as winter was beginning to pass. And that could only mean one thing. There would be a drop soon, somewhere. And that meant death and despair and a slow tension that crept up among everyone. 

Hazel found herself writing more letters to her mother each and every night, even if they all came at once. She hated to think the way she did, but she thought that if she didn't make it home, her mother would have things to remember her. She hated that thought. But she pushed it from her head most of the time and tried to stay a bit more positive. 

Running maneuvers were a part of Easy's normal routine when training, and Sobel also was involved in that, but that wasn't exactly exciting at the same time. 

2nd platoon had been placed into the hands of Winters and needless to say, Hazel and Catherine were relieved to know they were with him. Winters was reliable and when given an order he knew what to do with it, and the women could trust him. 

The platoon moved across a field, surrounded by bushes in the English countryside. Hazel moved next to Chuck and watched as Winters gave him the signal to crouch behind the bushes ahead, before moving over to the closer hedge, next to Lipton. 

Lipton had been another favorite of the girls. Like Winters, he cared for their wellbeing, and he respected each and everyone of them for what they all brought to the table. Just the other day, he found Lizzie working late at night alone in the cold medical station, and made sure she got home ok that evening. 

Catherine looked over her shoulder towards Winters and Lipton as she crouched behind Hazel and narrowed her eyes as she watched WInters glance at his watch and Lipton's eyes begrudgingly follow.

" Sobel's late." she heard Winters say through panting breaths. Catherine forced a scream down her throat before turning and tapping Hazel on the shoulder. Hazel turned with bright blue eyes, her sniper gear making her blend more into the bush than show she was a paratrooper.

" Sobel's late." Catherine said with a grievance in her voice.

" Are we surprised?" Hazel asked with a sigh, and Catherine shook her head. This always happened, so she knew why Winters was not freaking out too much at the moment.