24 | into the unknown

" Accomplishment will prove to be a journey, not a destination

" Accomplishment will prove to be a journey, not a destination."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

✰✰✰

When Joe finally got Hazel resting, or at least attempting rest, he saw the letter that she had dropped to the side. But Joe held himself and closed the letter up and placed it beside the girl's boots. It was for her eyes only and he respected that.

The following morning, was pretty similar to last night, except that this time they knew it was the last time they'd be sleeping in those beds for a long time. It was like the calm before the storm. Everyone woke up, a few heys or hellos were given to each other, before everyone ate their fill of their meal. 

The morning was then spent preparing again for the invasion with their gear and supplies and suiting up, and they were given a late lunch to hold them over until the dropped in behind enemy lines. 

It was late afternoon, the sun the hazy color shining brightly as it did on the airfield. Hazel walked just behind Winters with the rest of Second Platoon. Her eyes were alert yet calm, and her mood was calm as well. Her sniper on her shoulder gently bumped against her leg as they walked across the airfield toward Plane 67, and her helmet slid from side to side on her head. No one was speaking; it was oddly quiet, but it felt impactful for not having to speak about anything. 

The company knew what they were doing, and in that moment they felt as prepared as they could be. Men from all over could be seen making way with their platoons to the planes, heads held high at the initiative at hand. The face paint was sticky on her face, Joe had helped her out. 

When 2nd platoon reached their plane, everyone worked together to help pull their gear on, and webbing and parachute. It was a slightly odd atmosphere as everyone pulled their gear on, preparing for the initial invasion, but preparing themselves. But how does anyone mentally do that and come out on the other side, completely fine. 

Hazel was receiving help from Tab with her gear as he had finished, pulling on straps and different flaps, tucking them in. 

She told herself she was ready for this, after everything that had happened from Virago Company to England, to then Easy Company and their training under Sobel to now Upottery Airfield, she had to convince herself she was ready. That they all were and they were deserving to do this and to succeed in the end. 

She thought of Catherine and her confidence and her intelligence. It was intimidating but for a woman of her stature, she was admirable for each and every aspect she withheld. 

Hazel thought of Lizzie, the genuine and truthful medic who never left until she cracked a joke and you smiled and made sure you were included no matter what, managing to completely amaze you and make you wonder what her other capabilities were as a medic, but as a strong woman.