74 | the case of the incompetent lieutenant

" A leader takes people where they want to go

" A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don't necessarily want to go, but ought to be."

- Rosalynn Carter

✰✰✰

New Years Eve of 1944 was different. Last year they'd been in Aldbourne and now here they were in this frozen tundra, hoping 1945 would be a better year than 1944, even though a lot of good had come out of the year in the end. Joe Liebgott returned from his job as a runner and Hazel had immediately went searching for her best friend.

" Joe," she said as she approached him and he turned at the sound of her voice. Joe's eyes were sunken in and his mouth was in a thin line. He didn't light up like he usually did. He remained mellow, eyes downcast, slightly shaking.

" Hey, Tiny," he said rather exhaustedly.

" You're back," she said, slightly shocked.

" Yeah, I guess they didn't want me fighting with those fucking Krauts." Joe said and Hazel raised a brow.

" What?" she asked softly. Joe looked at her in despair.

" Winters removed me from being a runner, I got too mouthy." Joe said shaking his head. Hazel bit her lip; this war was taking a toll on everyone.

" Joe-"

" Those Krauts are hurting my people, Hazel. They're hurting your people too." Joe said quietly looking into her eyes, trying to hold back his anger from what Hazel could tell, " They deserved a jab or two from me." Hazel offered a small, sad smile his way. Joe's eyes softened and realized he needed to calm down. Staring at Hazel, really looking at her, even in the dark forest, made him realize his love for her, even if she didn't know. Joe sucked in a shaky breath.

" How you are though, you doing ok?" Joe asked looking at her. Hazel snapped out of her trance, slightly confused.

" I'm okay," she said as Joe looked at her bright red nose.

" Good." Joe said with a small smile, and she smiled. But she knew Joe was frustrated and angry and upset. She slowly placed a hand on his arm and watched his eyes droop.

" You know you can talk to me right?" she whispered softly. Joe looked up towards Hazel and looked at her eyes which were shining like stars themselves.

" I can't even describe my hatred, I just, I feel it, it deep down." Joe said softly watching her.

" It's okay to feel that, I feel it too," she said softly rubbing his arm," your emotions, they're important, it's okay to feel that way." 

God, Hazel made him so happy, even with just a sentence like that.

" I don't think I've told you thank you enough," Joe said glancing at her. She quirked an innocent brow.