25 | normandy

" Fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind

" Fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind."

- Dale Carnegie

✰✰✰

It was quiet on the plane, except for the engines that whirred constantly and the jolt every so often from the wind outside, making the plane sway a bit. 

Hazel had long ago shut her eyes, the airsickness pill working its way into her system by now and making her exhausted. Medication and pills like that always put her to sleep. 

Catherine however, was awake, twiddling her thumbs together, mentally trying to prepare herself for what they were doing. Her mind couldn't comprehend it, but she figured at this point nobody could. She looked across the way towards Hazel, who was so tiny next to Chuck, with just enough room to squeeze herself in next to him. 

Catherine could tell Hazel was sleeping, her head titled to the side against Chuck's shoulder a bit, who also happened to be asleep, and her mouth slightly parted, her eyelids gently closed over her bright, blue eyes. She seemed peaceful for the moment, the sniper rifle leaned up next to her though, adding the texture of seriousness to the scene. 

Everyone seemed anxious though, which grew to Catherine.

 Malarkey kept glancing out of the window, and Joe was rather wide-eyed and repeatedly biting his lip. Others attempted adjustments to their gear, loosening in or tightening it every so often, in nervousness of anxiousness. 

Winters was watching Catherine and she turned her head ever so slightly and met his gaze with a nervous smile; he smiled back and that settled her for the time being as her hands became twitchy and jittery. She felt her stomach turn sour at the thought of what might happen after they jump out of the plane. Her thoughts went out to Lizzie on another plane with Lip and Buck and Welsh. 

Catherine glanced towards Gene at the end of the stick across from Winters. His eyes seemed filled with their usual worry, staying unfocused in front of him. Catherine wished she could say a simple word of comfort to their medic who seemed to be having his own internal battle as he sat there. 

Everyone was though. 

Hazel felt nestled in, half awake, half asleep, and she yawned a bit as she rested against Chuck. 

But then the whole plane shook a bit, and there was the distant sound of a bomb coming from below. Her eyes flew open. She felt her heart lodge into her throat, as the tension inside the plane mounted. Hazel slowly sat up from Chuck's shoulder as more sound of bombs were heard again and again, growing closer with each passing second. 

Hazel slowly pushed her helmet on top of her head in anticipation glancing towards Catherine across from her, who already sat on the edge of her seat with nerves. Catherine met her eyes and gave her a slight nod, as if she were to wish her good luck at the impending jump that was minutes away from happening.