53 | the attack on crossroads

" Some memories never leave your bones

" Some memories never leave your bones. Like salt in the sea; they become part of you. And you carry them." 

- Unknown

✰✰✰

Hazel awoke at about 3 in the morning, groggy and aching against a body form. She glanced up and saw Luz, fast asleep, next to her, and sighed a bit to herself. She sucked in the air to fast and exploded in a coughing attack, waking Luz up from his sleep. He looked over at the girl, hacking and gently patted her back as she came out of her, her lungs pleading for reprieve.

" I'm sorry George." she moaned out, before tiredly falling down again covered in blankets against him for warmth, letting out a rough sigh, that crackled in her lungs.

" It's alright, kid, you're not feeling good." he said rubbing her back.

" This sucks." she muttered, rubbing her eyes and sighing. She still felt feverish; as she moved around she could most definitely tell because her head swam as she looked around, her head hurt, and so did her eyes. Hazel could tell from her spot that it was Catherine and Tab still doing rounds even at this early in the morning. 

Along with Bill Guarnere and Joe Toye, Tab and Catherine always were looking out for every person in the company, no matter if they were a vet or some replacement, they always were putting the men and women before themselves even if it meant their sleep, health or their life were at risk. Hazel respected them a lot. That's when all the sudden, she saw a figure coming towards her, crouched low with his helmet side ways and a bandage visible around his neck. It was Liebgott. He slowly came to Hazel's other side and collapsed next to her as she glanced towards him.

" Hey, Lieb." she said as he shot her a smile in the dark, " What's up?"

" Wanted to check on you, see how you were feeling with that fucking cold. I figured you were asleep." Liebgott said.

" Well, I can't fall asleep, and I'm hacking up a lung." Hazel said, before letting out a sneeze.

" Bless you." Liebgott said as he dug into his pocket for something. Hazel watched curiously, saying quick thank you as she watched.

" I know it may not help with the whole sickness thing, but I think it may brighten your mood," Liebgott said as he pulled out a Hershey's chocolate bar. Hazel's eyes widened as she stared at the chocolate in his hands. She hadn't had chocolate, much less Hershey's chocolate in what felt like forever. Liebgott smirked at her expression as he tore open the wrapper for her.

" Lieb, you're giving me a Hershey bar?" she whispered as he gave her the chocolate bar, with a nod.

" You're my best friend, of course I'd give you my Hershey bar, now taste it." he said and she smiled as she slowly bit into it.