XVI

Renjun stepped inside the castle way after midnight. It was most probably close to the sunrise, but he didn't care, he wasn't tired at all. He didn't even realize how much time he talked with Jeno until the tall elf told him that they should be leaving in order to be able to go to school the next day. The whole way up the marble stairs, Renjun kept on thinking about him. A small smile formed his lips. He enjoyed talking with Jeno and he realized that the elf wasn't faking when he told him he wanted to be his friend. 

"What are you smiling about?" A deep voice asked and just when he was about to look up, he bumped into a strong chest. Immediately, the soft scent of rain filled his nose and he backed up, almost falling down the stairs if Jaemin wouldn't have grabbed his arm in time. 

That brought the two really close and Renjun could even hear the prince's heartbeat. While Jaemin's right hand was still holding tightly his arm, his left one was resting onto Renjun's back. The touch made the silver haired male feel something weird fighting in his stomach. 

"Your heart's beating fast." Jaemin's voice softly rang in his ears. Renjun felt his face turning warm and red. His eyes also widened a bit. He tried to back away, but the young prince didn't let go of him. "Let's stay like this for a while, I like the sound of it." 

Hearing his words, Renjun realized he was confused. Why would he like the sound of his racing heart? Did he even know what that meant? He shouldn't feel this way, yet in those moments, Renjun couldn't help but remember what happened few days ago. How their faces were so close. How he thought of tasting them. 

No, he shouldn't. 

Renjun suddenly backed away , looking flushed as hell for some reason. He glanced once at Jaemin before rushing up the stairs, but he heard the elf running after him. 

"Where were you?" Jaemin asked which made him stop at the top of the stairs. Renjun looked down at Jaemin, who was standing a stair lower than he was. "You weren't with Yuta for a training session right?" Renjun widened his eyes in shock. How did he know? "Don't be so shocked. I live in this house too so I am allowed to know what's going on around here." He reached the top of the staircase too and leaned forward, so that his face would be inches away from Renjun's. "Especially after I saw the little bottles of poison you had in your room." 

Renjun flinched a bit when Jaemin touched his face with his cold hand. His fingers lingered a bit on his face before he backed away and sighed heavily while running his hand through his pink hair. 

"I hope you'll be able to come to school tomorrow. Ten's not gonna cause any trouble from now on." The prince started walking, but he stopped when Renjun called out his name. It echoed a bit on the silent and empty corridor. 

"Is he...?" 

"I'm not a monster Renjun. I don't kill elves for fun." Jaemin's face looked a bit hurt as if he didn't think that Renjun could think of him like that cruel. "I'm a simple boy after all." He chuckled, but there was sadness in that soft laugh. He was a sad boy, the silver haired male realized. "Get some sleep." 

Renjun didn't reply. He just watched the young prince disappear in his room. Yes, he was just a simple boy, but with a sad story that was hidden under that cold and cruel mask he liked to wear all the time. 

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Jaemin woke up the next day, for the first time in years, without a headache. He immediately called a maid who brought him some green tea which he loved. He opened one of his windows and a small smile appeared on his face. Finally, he was able to feel a bit better. Why? He didn't know either. He just woke up in a good mood for the first time after his mom's death. 

While he was looking at the leaves that were softly blown by the wind, the prince remembered the beautiful sound of Renjun's heartbeat. It was racing, but he couldn't know the reason since he didn't know what that human was feeling in that moment. Was is anger? Or maybe it was love. 

"You idiot..." Jaemin ruffled his hair in annoyance and embarrassment. "He hates you so why would he suddenly start liking you?" 

Finishing his tea, the young prince got dressed and left his wide room. He was walking down the stairs when he stopped right in the spot where he met Renjun the other night. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, imagining the small and fragile body of the silver haired male in his arms. 

Jaemin opened his eyes when he felt his heart racing for some reason. He also felt someone in his right, staring at him with curiosity. When he looked in the direction, his eyes locked with Renjun's. 

"What are you doing here?" The shorter asked and started walking away. 

Jaemin found himself rushing after him. "I was just thinking." The prince replied when he reached him. They were now walking shoulder to shoulder. 

"About?" Renjun looked up at him, his dark eyes glowing from the curiosity. 

"You." It took him about five seconds to realize what he just said which made him freeze in the middle of the stairs. Renjun did the same thing, his eyes becoming a bit wide. "I..." Jaemin felt his cheeks becoming red and he had to look away. "Forget what I said." He started walking again and his shoulder brushed against Renjun's, who stopped him by holding his wrist. 

"Look at me." The silver haired boy said and the thought of meeting his eyes frightened Jaemin. He couldn't be exposed like this. "I told you to do something." 

"I'm not your pet Renjun." Jaemin hissed back as he looked down at him. His cheeks were pink, so he was fucked now. 

"You're...blushing?" Renjun asked in disbelief. "But elves.... You can't... How?" 

Sighing heavily, Jaemin looked away from him. He was embarrassed and ashamed of himself because if that short and cute guy, who was right now looking at him with those wide eyes, found out his secret, he would hate him much more than he already did . 

"I live here since I'm a kid and I never saw an elf blushing and actually thinking of someone like humans do." Renjun started talking to himself. "How?" 

Jaemin felt his hand gripping onto his wrist tighter, but he didn't say anything. 

"My mom." The young prince looked down at his pale and warm hand that was holding his wrist. "She wasn't a faerie."