36 ↬ 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐠𝐨

˗'ˏ chapter 36 ˎˊ˗

˗'ˏ chapter 36 ˎˊ˗

════════════════

"𝐇𝐀𝐇𝐀, 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊."

She chuckled, biting back a scream. She was about to make a sarcastic remark about free hair dye when it suddenly came crashing down on her.

Her hair was blue. 

Holy hell.

Her hair was blue.

Soon, her breathing became erratic, her body beginning to tremble as tears threatened to escape from her eyes. Remember when she said that she can't handle stress? This moment was fucking proving it.

Screw it if she's overreacting.

She shook her head, in denial of what was happening. Higanbana's warning came true. It's not like she didn't believe her. It was just that the idea seemed so far-fetched and unlikely that-

Fine. She didn't believe her.

And now that it happened, it brings us down to the million dollar question: What the hell happens next? Higanbana told her to stay away from the slayers. She never told her why. It's probably nothing. Right?

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. In. Out.

She tried calming her breathing only to fail. Each breath she drew was faster, heavier, matching the rapid beat of her heart.

She studied her hair once more. It's shade of blue was identical to the spider lily that it was almost ironic. She brought her fingers to it, feeling her once H/C hair. Her eyes widened as a memory struck her. It was exactly like her brother's. Exactly like her mother's. Exactly like-

She became lightheaded, her mind all over the place. She tried gulping down air, but she just can't. The girl didn't even know why she was this disturbed, this frightened. Maybe because of Higanbana's warning. Maybe because she was just overly stressed. But deep down, she knew that it was something else entirely.

In her subconsciousness, the warning their mother always told them.

A memory, long forgotten, but the weight of it still remains.

Her mother's warning. Repeated to them, every single night, inside their home deep in the woods. It was like a mantra. Never, never get close to the demon slayers. She could never forget her mother's voice, laced with hate, how her eyes would shine with such intense loathing when she mentions them.

Even her mother warned them about the slayers.

It was peculiar. Why avoid the ones that were supposed to protect you? The demons, they were a given. Her mother didn't need to tell them that they were to be avoided, but the slayers? Why? She was just a kid back then and she never got to ask. But now that the memory resurfaced, it left her confused.