Chapter One

Liam Payne

I shuffled awkwardly where I stood, my hair a mess with my circular lenses nearly slipping off my nose. My bottom lip was practically whining as I bruised them up with how nervously I was chewing on it. My hands shook gently as my eyes scanned my surroundings, sense of nervousness was washing all over me and making it hard to even breathe. I told myself not to do this, I tried so hard to calm myself down. I shook my head quickly trying to attempt a scornful look but I most likely looked like a puppy glaring with puppy dog eyes, not threatening at all.

I released a breathe, reaching my hands out to push against the large steel doors that lead inside the school building. My heart thundered inside my chest as I was late thanks to my mom deciding to do yoga first thing in the morning and my dad finding enjoyment in take his time acting like a grandpa despite his youthful age. I haven't stepped foot in a school in years and I've been homeschooled from my last year in middle school up until now due to my social anxiety.

My mom thought I had grown over my anxiety since I made progress and stopped having occasional panic attacks. I tried to convince them otherwise but when my dad caught me waving shyly at the neighbors next door he rushed inside the house yelling to my mom that their, "baby was ready." I scold myself internally for responding to Ms. Shepherd's hospitality but that woman was too kind for me to ignore

What made me even more anxious was the fact that I would be starting school in my junior year and it was already three month into the year which meant everyone knew each other and had their friendship circles formed. I pouted to myself. It wasn't like I would actually to make any friends anyways. I'd just be seen as the weird kid who silently watched what went on but never really said anything and clammed up when you spoke a word to him. My life in a nut shell.

I anxiously adjusted my glasses, allowing my eyes to take in my surroundings. I gasped silently as I took in the school, I was struck at how large the interior was compared to the outside of the school that gave the illusion that the inside would mirror the exterior. The halls were vast and appeared endless with the walls holding posters and doors that led to classrooms.

I clutched the strap of my bag tightly, swinging it off my shoulders to zip it open and take a look at the items I had inside. Neat and orderly, I was able to pull out my schedule from my red folder and slip it back in my bag. Taking a peak at my schedule, I noticed I had Calculus first period in room 304 and my mood slightly brightened. Math was awesome. (No it's not 😭)

I folded the white paper twice before neatly tucking it away in my back pocket for safe keeping as I began walking deeper into the school and past the lobby where the main office was seen to the side. I nervously stuck in my bottom lip as I began to abuse the pink flesh once again. How was I to find my class when this school was this big? Maybe I should've stopped by the main office to get a map. I regrettably slouch my shoulders, my posture going slack as I timidly continue walking down the halls.

My eyes widen as I pause in my step and begin to tremble when my ears catch the sound of what sounded like a stampede of elephants. My breathing quickened on its own and my heart raced quickly but I began my breathing exercises to steady myself. Things only seemed to worsen as multiple students came running my way and doors flung open to reveal a wave of students rushing out and running past me and towards a specific destination. I quietly stood there with eyes closed as I willed myself not to panic. I didn't know what the heck was going on but this was definitely not a good sign.

I took quick breathes, my eyes shut tightly and my legs slightly shaking. Slowly the running I was hearing stopped and I was able to stop my legs from shaking. My eyes slowly came to open when I heard panting beside me. I looked to my right and saw a boy who was bent down, his hands on his knees as he huffed air out. He looked out of breathe from trying to catch up, probably running to wherever everyone else was running to.