Chapter Seven

Liam Payne

I trailed slowly behind Zayn, leaves and grass crunching beneath my feet as I took tentative footsteps behind him. My heart was hammering in my throat and I'd nervously and very much awkwardly constantly adjust my glasses all while sucking in my lip and chewing it as if it were gum. They were probably the definition of red at this point but I didn't care, my anxiety was at its peak. What was weird was although I was heavily nervous, just his smell would calm me down at the same time. It was simply weird and just unexplainable.

He stopped but I must've zoned out so much that I didn't notice he stopped walking causing me to stumble into his back. My glasses fell off my face and I blushed looking down with a squint to try and locate their whereabouts in the grass and leaves that covered the ground. I grumble in frustration, my hands trying to feel for the shape of my circular lenses.

I jerk slightly with a warm face as I see Zayn crouch his tall body down to pick up my glasses quite easily. Bent down along with me, I peek up at him with a rosy blush and he stares back with what I think is a hard expression but I wouldn't know I couldn't exactly see much. He gently slips my glasses on my face, his eyes never leaving me as he did so and almost hypnotized I just watched, my breath caught in my throat. I swallowed and his eyes darted to my throat, watching the movement with ravishing eyes and I felt my face heat up even more with my body feeling suddenly warm.

I stood up straight, taking a step back with nerves bundling up inside. To my surprise, he stands up straight towering over my short height and takes a step towards me. I squeak and we play this game where I take a step back and he takes one forward. My heart was doing summer salts inside, my face a tomato and to further make matters worse my back hit a tree. I frantically looked around unsure of what to do but he was so close and my mind was foggy.

He leaned in close and my eyes widened as I freaked out. My hands rested on his chest and my move was to push him away in reaction but he lay his forehead on my shoulder and I paused. My heart slowed in its pounding and my anxiety appeared to wash away at the contact and close proximity, it was so peaceful and strange.

"You piss me off," he grumbled aloud, his voice hard and I pouted sadly without even realizing.

"S-sor—" I meant to apologize despite how weak my voice sounded but his deep voice beat me to it all while sending cold shivers down my spine.

"Don't," he sighed, his tone melting into something soft and tender,"God, don't apologize for anything."

I didn't know what to say so I nodded mutely, waiting for him to say something, to say anything.

"You don't realize how conflicted I am, Pup. I just fucking see you and it takes everything in me not to rush to you and grab you in my arms and never let anyone lay there hands on you or look at you or even smell your goddamn scent," he confessed breathlessly and I was shocked hearing this as well as bewildered at the fastness of his heartbeat at his confession.

Did this mean he liked me?? Like me like how a man and women like each other? But, no way was he gay. I wasn't gay! But even so, why was I so effected by his little speech? My mind was swirling and I wasn't able to grasp a sense of anything that was going on. What scared me was how my heart raced crazily like nothing I've ever experience before and it had me trembling. I'd barley known him for long so this didn't make any sense, he didn't know me for long so how could he come out and start spewing stuff like this?

Yet I still couldn't conjure up anything to say, it was like my lips were glued shut. My hands were still firmly on his chest and I jumped slightly when his hands took hold of my wrist as they lay on him. He brought one of my hands up to his face, that still lay on my shoulder, and he placed the softest kiss on the back of it and I think I melted right there and then. My face burned at the action and I felt like I was butter at that moment.