Chapter Seventeen

"Tell a lie once and all your truths become questionable..."

Liam Payne

It genuinely felt as if Zayn were my body guard with how protective he was of me. He was beside me constantly for the last few days, never leaving me alone to be by myself for more than ten minutes. If someone shot me a look, he was there to glare at them and make them quake in there spot as they immediately shifted their eyes to the floor.

I found it adorable how protective he was and I felt as if this was his way of displaying that he cared and took my feelings into consideration. Though I hadn't told him about my social anxiety and my used to be frequent panic attacks, I gathered that he knew I was more prone to deflect from the public view. I believed he knew I had anxiety but he didn't know exactly the extent of it and I feared this problem of mine would be deemed weird to him so I never spoke about it.

Despite how unsure I was I would tell Zayn about it in due time. It was an obstacle for me but sure enough, I'd overcome it even if it took time and I believed truly that Zayn would help me in doing so.

"Fag!" A kid hollered from the other side of the hallway.

My heart constricted at the word feeling it to be derogatory and I softly clenched my small fist at my side. I don't understand why it was an insult to be gay when it was who I was. Yes I took me a while to get to the point where I could admit it to myself but I was who I was.

Zayn was beside me and he was ragging but before he could even leap to attack the boy, a large textbook hit the kid and knocked him off his feet causing an eruption of laughter. When I looked around for the perpetrator I saw May who huffed in annoyance. Zayn blinked in momentary surprised but was still stiff by myself as May smiled and bounced her way over to us.

Zayn glared and I tugged on his loose grey top. He looked down at me and I told him with my eyes to play nice. He let out a mini growl but complied and I smiled at him causing his eyes to soften as a grin played at his lips.

"Hey you two," she greeted.

Her eyes were on me and I began to realize that she was incapable of looking at Zayn in the face. Maybe it was the way her face turned red if she did or she was just overall nervous, I wouldn't know but it was something I easily observed. It nipped at me that she might like Zayn but she had denied it so I'd go with what she said but may bring it up if I have the opportunity.

"Hey," I greeted politely.

"So I ran through the people who last had photography before the incident right and I did some bomb ass detective shit and I spoke to the janitor who told me three students left that classroom Monday night," she tells us.

This sparks Zayn's interest and he stands straight, eyes narrowing.

"Who were the three?" He asks her.

"I-I well t-the I mean," she stumbles on her words but coughs and shakes herself before continuing,"the janitor tells me he only knows two out of the three. One being Nicolas Skies and Oden Whyte."

"He doesn't remember the third person?" I ask her.

She shakes her head, "he says they all left at separate times and not together so they could all be the cause or it's just one of them."

Zayn nods in understanding, "thanks."

"N-no problem," she smiles shyly and turns to me quickly, "that rules me out right?"

"I guess so," I grin gently.

"Awesome, if it's alright I'd like to be friends?" She says in question, her eyes nervous and hesitant.