Chapter 2: Hello, My Name Is Know-It-All

yay!! second chapter! hope you like it!

happy reading!

Kat :)

Hello, My Name Is Know-It-All

I set down my suitcase at the end of the driveway and looked at my mom through sad eyes. She didn't get her usual four hours of sleep due to my early departure time. She had her arms crossed over her chest as she watched me put my suitcase into my uncle's old car, which he gave us after my dad's funeral. Katie was standing right next to my mother with the same vague expression.

"Well," I said closing the trunk of the car. "That's the last of it."

My mom took a couple of steps forward and put her arms around me tightly. "I’m going to miss you.”

I patted her back reassuringly as I pulled back to look at her face. "I’ll miss you too." I turned my head to look at Katie. “I’ll miss you too, Katie.”

“Cora, it’s not like I want you to go,” My mom said pulling back my attention to her.

“Yeah, but I kinda have to go. We already paid for most of my intuition. No turning back now mom.” I mumbled, still a bit pissed off that she was making me go to some fucking boarding school.

“And it’s not like she is welcome at North Rise anymore after what she did.” Katie added.

“Not helping, Katie,” My mom said sternly as I shot Katie a warning glance and I felt my mother tightening her grip around my waist. "I know but I still don't want you to go."

"I'll be fine mom. I'll see you for thanksgiving break." I said lightly.

My mom gave me a smile as she pulled away. I stared at Katie knowingly, waiting for her to give me a hug. Soon enough, she was in my arms and out of it in a second. She was less of a touchy-feely kind of person than I was so I wasn't expecting a bug goodbye from her.

"Be good," Katie warned in a fake stern voice.

"Aren't I always?" I laughed.

"If you were than you wouldn't be in this mess, would you?" She shot back.

"Touché." I said. I stuck my hands down my pocket and stood there awkwardly. "Well, I should be going now. I don't want to be late for sign ups and rooming."

After another set of farewell hugs, I slide into the driver's seat of my uncles old car and stuck the keys into the ignition. With a swift motion, the car roared with life. Before pulling away from the driveway, I took one last glance at my family. I slowly put my hand up in a wave, to which they waved back. I then turned back to face the clear road. It was about six in the morning so no one was up yet. The sun hadn't even come up yet so my only light was the streetlights and the fading headlights. I took a deep breath and pulled away from the curb and out through the street. 

In my rearview mirror, I could still see the figures of my mom and Katie standing out on the drive way watching me go. I felt guilty for leaving them like this, but it was the only way I could repay them. I would see them during Thanksgiving break and that's all I had to keep my sights on. 

As I drove near the outskirts of the city, I silently went over what I had to do. I had to keep my job. Even with my partial scholarship, I still to pay a sufficient amount of money. So the job is a must. I also needed to watch my tongue. In school and out. I had to be a totally different person than I was three months ago; which meant no cussing, no back talk, no fights, and no breaking the rules. I couldn't get expelled from Dalton or else I would be, no doubt, screwed.

Twenty minutes later I spotted the main office building of Dalton. I quickly pulled into an empty space out in the front, which I luckily nabbed before the car behind me. I could feel the scowl from the person as they drive past me. I smiled to myself.