Nineteen

It was early morning. I texted the group and told them to meet on the rooftop. I wanted to talk to them about something important. Today was supposed to be sapphire's birthday. Since we're all juniors, she was turning seventeen today.

When all of the group were on the rooftop, I started showing them my presentation by saying "Sapphire was a part of our group, and since today is her birthday, I think that we should all commemorate her together. Saphy's favourite colour was Royal blue, so I have already spoken to my dad, and he's agreed that we should do a royal blue theme for her birthday. It's not a party, it's a remembrance. At exactly 7pm, we are all going to go to the field while holding a royal blue balloon. We will say a couple speeches if we need to, and on the count of three, we will all the balloons go. As the balloons start floating into the air, we will use that as a way to remember Sapphire, and how much she meant to this community. I want everyone to come wearing something Royal blue. We've already alerted the whole school about this, and my dad has sent out emails to every single student in the year. I don't think we should go silent for her birthday, she is very special human being, and she deserves a special celebration. Whether she's alive or not." Jessica looked at me, and then she asked "does anyone think that this is a bad idea? She died. We're using her birthday as an excuse for a celebration. If you wanted to throw a party, you could've just said that. Using her name to do it, is disgusting. Count me out." And then she got up and left. Naomi looked at me, and then she said "don't let what Jess said best you up. You know her already. We all think that's it's amazing away to remember her. Jessica is supposed to be her best friend, if she has half a brain, she'll show up." I nodded, and then we all headed to class.

I was in the auditorium I was lighting candles and preparing for the memorial it was roughly about 4 pm so I have three hours to light up with a 500 candles I would use magic to do it but I don't want to end up setting the place on fire and I can't risk anyone see me so unfortunately I have to do it the old-fashioned way just them run in I looked at her and that's when she said "I have news. Myles was trying out some advanced spells from principal Colstone, and he managed to reverse the first ten seconds. Sapphire was outside smoking, and a girl in a pink frill dress walked up to her and said 'Saphy baby, you know I hate it when you smoke.' That's all he was able to get. You won't know this because you only came in junior year, but Jessica always used to call Sapphire 'Saphy baby.' I really hate to say this, but she's looking more guilty by the minute." I looked at her, and then I responded with "not only that. Have you seen the price of frill dresses? They are extremely expensive. Only the richest of the rich can buy a frill dress. And apart from Myles and I, the next richest person in the group is Jessica. The one thing I am slightly confused about is, she showed up to the dance wearing a purple frill dress. So how did she kill Sapphire in a pink one? Unless she changed, if she didn't, then it doesn't add up." Naomi nodded, and then she said "I don't know but something about it is off, this whole thing is just off. We need to find a way to question Jessica, or at least find this pink frill dress. She's never gonna stay there and let us question her, but we can't kidnap her either. We need to do something, if Jess is guilty, we need all the information we can get." I nodded, and then I said "agreed, one hundred percent. We definitely need to find out what's going on, and if Jessica is guilty, we need to burn her down to her core. But we can't do it today, it's Sapphire's birthday. Today is the day we're supposed to remember her, we cannot go round searching through her potential killer's wardrobe. It's Friday, tomorrow is the weekend. We have all weekend to do it, if you don't want to do it over the weekend, then we can just start fresh on Monday. But right now, we need to focus on remembering Sapphire. That's what she would've wanted." Naomi nodded, and then she responded with "ok, you're right. I'll go and tell Myles to call it off for the day." I nodded, and then she walked out.

It's been about twenty minutes since Naomi left. I was still lighting the candles. Just then, I heard a voice say "lightum el brightum." All the candles were suddenly lit up. I turned around, and Jessica was standing in the middle of the hall. She looked at me, and then she said "you're welcome. It's clear you were struggling. I don't know why you didn't just use your powers, you are a witch. Are you not?" I smiled and then I responded with "yes, but I'm not good with fire spells. I'm not exactly trying to burn this place down." She laughed, and then she replied with "fair enough. Understandable. I'm sorry about earlier. I just found out that my brother's suicide was actually a homicide. And that they have evidence that he was poisoned, and that he didn't kill himself. So I was really annoyed about that. I think what you're doing for Saphy is amazing. She would've loved this, a big party to remember her name. She always said that she wanted to make a mark on society, before she left. And she definitely has. It's really sweet, considering the fact that out of all of us, you've known her the least, but you're the one doing the most for her. Harrison is right, you are a really good person. I hate to admit it, but you are really sweet. I don't even know why I hate you. I think it's just envy, I know that I could never be like you. I know that I'm never gonna be praised as much you. It just really grinds my gears, you did what I couldn't. you did all this in eight months, and I couldn't do it in over a decade. I will definitely be at Sapphire's remembrance." And then she walked out.