Chapter 27

"Zayan?"

Zayan perked his head up from his duffel bag.
It was the colonel.

"Yes, Sir!" He saluted and stood at attention.

"At ease, soldier. The General said you're needed in his office right now."

Zayan was confused.
Weren't they supposed to be getting on a plane to their base in the north? He wasn't even done packing.

"But sir, the plane is inbound to the base? I was made to believe we are behind schedule." He informed.

"He's the General, Lieutenant. If he wants to see you then the plane will wait for you. Just go see the man, Zayan." He chuckled.

"Yes, sir. Will do." Zayan nodded.

He quickly dressed up suitably.
Why did the General want to see him?
How did he even know him personally?

He shook the thoughts from his head and jogged to the tent-made office in the camp.

**

He stood at ease with his hands behind him in front of the tenth.

The General eyed him.

"You're Zayan?" He asked.

"Sir, Yes, Sir!"

He nodded.

"You've got a call." Zayan's brows furrowed together in confusion.

He hadn't been able to get in touch with anyone since he left Qatar. Even Zaira. He had lost his phone book with the number she had given him when she had visited him during she and Karim's quick visit to the country.

He had been glad to see her then even though she had said Karim was busy with Royal issues so he couldn't come along and thus sent his greetings. That was about 4 years ago.

He had told her then about wanting to join the Qatari Army since they were recruiting in excess thus making his criminal record not a major hindrance. They needed more soldiers. They didn't mind any record. Something was better than nothing. And besides he had a good degree in engineering.

Zayan had thought Zaira wouldn't be happy with his plan since he had promised her to be in Qatar whenever she wanted to see him. But she had supported his decision wholeheartedly.
Even urged him on.

He had promised to call during his training but never did more than a few times. She was married to a future king. He was going through intensive training. They were both too busy.

But then he was deployed outside the country. At least he'd get some few minutes to keep in touch with his only sister. But then he lost his phone book with her number in it and he couldn't send his phone along with him.

So for almost 3 and a half years, he hadn't heard from Zaira.
But at least he was assured she was fine with Karim living her best life. Maybe she had children already?

Thus his only conclusion was whoever was calling him was Zaira. Her husband was connected obviously and must have found the camp he was currently in to get in touch.
Zaira was way too persistent and Karim didn't seem like he could say no to her.

"May I ask who it is, Sir?" Zayan pushed his luck.

Please be Zaira.

"Someone who knows the Defense Minister, I believe. I wasn't given details. Take the phone." He pointed to the telephone landline on his desk.

The General pressed a button on it.

"Sir, it's connected."

"Answer it." He mumbled.