Chapter 55

"Samia! Ya Allah." Karim finally let go of Samia to allow his mother embrace her.

He had held her so tightly throughout the time they spent in the courtroom and even on their trip back to the palace. The poor child was probably suffocating but she didn't say anything about it.

The judge had decided it was better to leave Samia with him after the new evidence against James came forward. It clearly wasn't in James favour anymore.

"Grandma!" Samia beamed brightly. "I missed you so so much."

"My sweet sweet girl! Forgive your grandmother. I'll never let anyone take you again from us." Naima promised as she tightly hugged her.

"Samia! It's Samia!" Maher let go of Rauf's hand as he ran as fast as his little legs could take him.

Naima placed a jittery Samia on the floor and watched in delight as she ran to meet Maher.

"Samia!" Maher cried as Samia pulled him into a hug.
"Maher! I missed you!"

The adults watched as the two children reunited finally.

Karim watched as his siblings held back tears with Samia's return.

This almost seemed perfect.

Except. Zaira wasn't there.
They'd take her straight to their headquarters in Nice, France as Bennett had informed.

He'd also be in Nice tomorrow. He wasn't going to let her sit in jail any longer than needed. He would have left straight with them but he didn't want to leave Samia yet. And from the way she had tightly held on to him as well throughout their trip to the palace clearly said she didn't want to leave him either. He wasn't going to be the one to pull her away.

Karim watched as Samia and Maher kept talking between themselves. His whole family just looked on at the scene in front of them. He used the opportunity to go to the freezer to get water because it felt like ages since he last drank water.

Was Zaira thirsty too? Did they give her water if she was? He felt his stomach churn at the thought.

Just a little while longer. I'll get you back, Zaira. I promise.

Karim poured himself a glass from the jug and before he could get the glass to his lips he heard a piercing scream.

Samia.

He dropped the glass and run as fast as he could back to the living space only to see her screaming for him in his father's arms who was holding her tightly enough to keep her in place.

"Calm down, princess. Shhh. It's alright. Your dad's here."

Karim took her from his arms and held the shaking child closer to him.

"Daddy! Don't leave me. Please don't leave me. I don't want to be alone." She cried into his arms.

What had he done to his little angel?

"Oh my little angel, I'd never leave you. I promise on everything I hold dear." Karim assured her.

He felt a pull on his trousers and looked down to see Maher with round eyes staring back at him.

"Is Samia okay?"

"She will be." Karim gave a reassuring smile. But deep within him he prayed she'd forget her ordeal. That it would be a foggy memory to her in a few years. Because she didn't want her to go through the things he did. He felt like he was dying everytime he had an attack. He didn't want that for his little angel. "Come, Maher. Let's go clean up." Karim held his hand with one hand and held Samia close to his chest with another.