Chapter 40

"I think you should leave the palace."

Zaira blinked in shock and confusion.
"Leave?!"

"You want me to leave Karim!? Again! You didn't think I hurt him enough already!"

Halima's brow raised in surprise.

"No! Ya Allah! No. I love Karim like a son. I didn't say leave Karim. I meant to leave the palace. I can tell you want Daneen to like you again and I don't see that happening with you two meeting randomly in the house. It will just tense every one up. That's why I'm suggesting you leave and stay somewhere close by. Give Daneen the space and time to think her anger through."

Zaira looked unsure. But the woman had a point. Daneen was rarely outside her room ever since Karim brought her here. And that was saying something for someone who was always outside. She was uncomfortable in her own home because of Zaira.

"Karim won't understand."

"He isn't the one at the other end of Daneen's anger. Let him understand that you are doing it for Daneen. She needs to breathe, Zaira and you know that. I can tell you love Karim. But you crave for Daneen's forgiveness too. And I don't see her anger decreasing anytime soon with her always locked up in her room."

She was right. But she didn't want to leave Karim now. And Karim would not be a fan of the idea too.
But this wasn't about them.
Daneen was Karim's sister. They were family and because of Zaira they'd have to behave like strangers, like a far relation.
Karim would have to understand. She'd just be somewhere close by. They could see each other anytime.

"You're right. I just hope Karim understands."

Halima nodded.
"I'm sure he will."

~

"No." Karim said with finality in his voice. He wasn't having this conversation.
For fuck sakes he just got back from the airport and he's hit with the face with this.

Zaira had come to wait outside for Karim when he texted her that he was almost home.

"Karim...Come on! I'm just going to be close by. I'm not even leaving the district."

"I don't care even if you're in the walls of the palace. It's not the same and I'm not agreeing to it."

"You can come see me anytime. We can meet up anytime...

Zaira was cut off when Karim cupped her face.

"I said no."

"I'm not leaving you, Karim. I love you. So much. I just need to stay outside the palace for a while."

"Why!?" Karim exclaimed.

"I have to."

"Then what? I wake up each morning and not see your face, dress up and hide to see you then come back home alone?" Karim raised a brow.
"No. I don't want that. I want you with me. Please."

"I want Daneen to forgive me." Zaira came clean. She didn't want Karim to think he was being separated from Zaira because of his sister. But it seemed he wasn't going to budge.

Karim stepped back.
He scrunched his eyes.

"Did Daneen tell you to leave?"

Karim really hoped she didn't.

"No! But that's the thing. I've made her uncomfortable in her own home. She will never forgive me this way."

"I don't want you to leave, Zaira. Daneen. I'll talk with her...

"Karim. If she wanted to forgive me, she would. Not because you spoke with her. I don't want your sister to hate me. I don't want you to be put in a situation where you have to choose between the two of us without hurting the other. Daneen will forever be your sister. Remember that."

"We won't be able to see each other normally. People will find out about you and make up stories and...

"And nothing. I don't care what they think. Also it won't be forever. Just for a short while."

"And what if I decide to never forgive you? You'll stay away forever?"

That was Daneen's voice. When did she even get there? And did she hear everything?

"Daneen. Please. Tell her you're fine with her staying."  Karim moved closer to her.

"She hurt you, Karim. So no I'll never be fine with her or her staying here."

Karim raked his hair.

"Would you stay away forever? If I decided to never forgive you."

"I love Karim. I also know you love him. And I know it might take forever for you to forgive me but I will do everything in my power for you to forgive me now."

"She hurt me, Daneen. And I forgave her. Please just...please."

"Karim. No." Zaira stopped him.

"You don't understand the pain of watching someone suffer without knowing how to stop the pain. I had no idea how to make everything better for you. And you don't know how much I hate myself for that."

"You should never hate yourself for that, Daneen. Everything happening is my fault and we all know that. That's why I'm leaving the palace. It's your home. Not mine. I don't want you to ever be uncomfortable in a place you call home."

"And it doesn't matter how long it will take for you to forgive me."

"I need you to promise me. That no matter what you'll not leave my brother again. You'll not hurt him." Daneen

"I swear on everything I hold dear. I'll never leave Karim willingly. I'll always be with him for as long as I have to live." Zaira wasn't making the promise to just Daneen. It was a vow to herself and Karim too.  It was a vow to everyone who would listen.

Daneen gave her a thin smile.

"Then please don't leave the palace. It will hurt this long rock and it will be my fault too." Daneen joked.

Zaira wanted to hug her but baby steps. No need to overwhelm her.

"Thank you, Daneen. For your love for me. I love you, dear sister. So much." Karim hugged her.

Daneen coughed.

"I don't though. Sorry. I like Zaira better now. She didn't say I look like  an ogre." She pulled her brows together at Karim when he let her go.

Karim laughed.
"I never said that."

"Um, yes you did. Beware, Zaira. One day you're his pretty wife, the next he says you're an ogre."

"At least then we'd have reasonable cause to kill him in his sleep." Zaira shrugged.

"I'd be down for it too." Daneen nodded.

"I'm right here and you two are threatening me with murder. Wow. The audacity." Karim rolled his eyes.

Daneen only shrugged.

"Have you two by any chance seen Auntie Halima? She asked me to meet her outside but she isn't here."

She knew what she was doing

Zaira smiled.
"No. No, not me though."

"She might be inside."

"Maybe."

Karim noticed his parents coming out of the house with a solemn look. What was wrong now?

"You two better smile. You look like ghosts." Karim shouted which got Daneen and Zaira to see Tawfiq and Naima approaching them.

"You two patched up?" Tawfiq was the first to speak as they got closer.

"And she likes me more than Karim. " Zaira added.

Naima smiled.

"I'm glad."

Tawfiq's phone rang.

"Yeah, let him in Aziz." He said as soon as he answered.

"Who is it?" Karim arched a brow.

In the back of his mind he might have known the answer but it could have been anyone really. And he didn't want it to be this soon too.

"Zayan. He's here."

⚜⚜⚜

Keep scrolling...