Chapter 19 - Area under video surveillance

After gathering her thoughts for a few minutes, Jasmine got up to go to her father's study. The coffee table with the old laptop connected to the surveillance system was still there in its place. Her parents hadn't decided whether to leave it all there, but finding a better location for the PC, or perhaps replace the entire system with a newer one. She sat in the folding chair in front of the laptop and turned it on, picked up her phone and called Stuart.

"Hello? Jasmine?"

"Hey, Stu. I'm home, are you free to do that thing?"

"Yes, I am. Now can you explain to me what you're doing? You're not in serious trouble, I hope. "

"I don't know, to be honest. I'll tell you guy the details when we're all together, I promise, for now you just need to know that Jason came pretty close tonight, probably after the massacre he did, and the cameras might have caught something. "

"Jasmine...you know that if there was someone hanging around your house, maybe someone armed, you should call the police and show them the footage, right?"

"Yes, yes, I know, but since I was the one who partially armed the aforementioned someone, who then returned to pay a courtesy visit, I'd be in trouble with the police and especially my parents. And you know how my mother is like."

"Yeah... but I don't know, Jas. I'm not sure about this thing."

"Neither am I, Stu. For now, let's just see if anything has been filmed, then we'll decide what to do."

"Okay then...uhm...in the meantime tell me what security system it is and what program you use from your laptop."

And so the two friends got to work. The cameras were connected with cables to a hard-drive, also on the table and connected to the laptop. After opening the program and giving Stuart all the information he needed, Jasmine quickly realized that something was wrong.

"Oh-oh."

"What do you mean "oh-oh"? Jasmine what's going on?" Even just from his voice, she could tell that the boy was worried, a lot, for his friend.

"Some cameras aren't working...In fact they are totally gone!"

"Jas security cameras don't go away by themselves, what exactly are you saying?"

"Stuart, I swear to you, there should be at least eight cameras here, but there are only four." Even in Jasmine's voice he could hear the growing tension.

"Are you absolutely sure it should be eight?"

"Totally. We have two inside that aim on the front and back doors, and they work, two on the front porch, and here I only see one, one on the back porch, and it's gone, one on the right side and one on the left side, and there aren't any on the screen, and the one on the garage, which is there. "

"And did they work before?"

"Absolutely. The previous owners, when they set up the cameras, had cables running all over the first floor, but we had to redo most of the electrical system, so dad had them put in the walls along with everything else. When the electricians finished, and he came to check, they turned on the cameras and he sent a picture of the screen to me and mom. There were eight cameras and all working, and he also told us they would leave them on. "

"Then if they were all on they should have caught something. Even if they were put out of use later, maybe the videos are still there."

"They should, at least I think. I don't know how long they remain saved, where should I look for them? "