Chapter 9 - Nightmares and fears

Jason saw her move away from the window and when the light of her room went out he leaned over to pick up the little paper plane. But why had she throw it to him? He saw the signs left on the sheet from the ink and opened it, reading the strange note.

"Tomorrow after midnight look under the white oleander. - Jasmine"

That girl could not stop surprise him. He put the sheet in his pocket and looked around, spotting the oleander. There was a bunch of those plants on one side of the garage. They all had pink flowers, but only one had white flowers, even with the little light of the moon Jason could see it. What would have been there after midnight the next day? Jason went to check, but at that moment there was nothing but dirt. Think too much about that would not have been of any help, so he left. He would find out everything within a day at the end.

Jasmine was already asleep for a while when she began to dream. It was a normal dream at first, neither beautiful nor ugly. At some point she found herself in the middle of a forest. She did not recognize that place and was surrounded by trees. A strange sense of anxiety invaded her and began to walk. Suddenly the ground beneath her feet disappeared, and she felt to fall into the void. It was only for a moment, then she realized where she was.

Somehow she ended up in the water, under it indeed. She got caught in panic and began to squirm, as if to get rid of the grip of that iced fluid. But the more she moved and the more she went to the bottom. She looked up, down and around, but it was all the same. The water was not clear, but very dark, almost like the one of a... But of course. She should have understood it immediately. It was the water of a lake. Then something grabbed her ankle, starting to pull her even further down. Jasmine felt that her breath was beginning to miss, soon she would not be able to hold it anymore. Then another tug on the other ankle. She looked down and her fear grew when she realized that it was the two girls killed that day. She kicked trying to get free, but nothing seemed to work. Now they were so low that she could glimpse the backdrop. A great expanse of mud and human bodies. She could no longer hold her breath and tried to breathe, drinking the water that was so disgusting at that depth. She felt her nose burning and her lungs as if they were about to explode. And just when she seemed to be doomed, she awoke.

Jasmine found herself in her room, where she had always remained obviously, out of breath, as if she had been holding it for a long time for real. She was also all wet, but because of the cold sweats and not the icy waters of the lake. It was not the first time she had a nightmare like that, where she was drowning, but this was really vivid. It seemed real for a moment. She thought back to the faces of the two girls, their expressions of anger and terror. Was it also her fault if they were dead? She found herself wondering this. No, it was not her fault. She tried to turn that thought away from her mind. She could not do anything in any case, right?

Taking deep breaths she tried to calm down and another question arose: there were really all those bodies at the bottom of the Crystal Lake?

He got up from the bed and went to the bathroom. Finn, feeling walking, went up from downstairs and went to meet her. Jasmine rinsed her face and looked into the mirror. "Uff... Samara looks better than me." She snorted.

The girl still felt her heart beat for fear. It was not the girls to scare her so much, but the drowning thing.

Here's another reason why she felt somehow linked to Jason: even she as a child almost drowned because of the carelessness of others.

It had happened years earlier, when she was 7 years old, during a holiday with her parents. The hotel where they stayed had a large outdoor pool and for children there was a kind of free baby-sitting service. Her parents left her with the counselors and other children throughout the morning, while they treated themselves to a walk in the city. Jasmine remembered well that day. The counselors had danced and played with the children all morning and at one point had even given them the permission to take a bath in the pool, as long as they stayed in the area where the water was lower. Then Jasmine wanted to experience how much she was able to go further before she stopped touching the bottom. She clung with one hand to the edge of the pool, higher than her, and began to move forward, breaking away from the group of children. But when she could no longer feel the bottom with her feet her hand slipped and broke away from the edge, and she found herself completely under water. Then panic took hold of her, who could not swim well, and no longer had an handhold. She tried to stay afloat with poor results, even breathing water. She wanted to scream for help but her voice was muffled. Finally, with an effort tremendous for her, she managed to get a stronger thrust, once again clinging to the edge. She tried to climb out but it was too tall and she was forced to go back as she had come, but breathing badly because of the water she had taken. She stepped out of the pool and breathing deeply and coughing she recovered, albeit frightened.

And during all that those "responsible" had not noticed anything, too busy chatting among themselves under a gazebo with their back to the pool.

When her parents went to pick her she said nothing at first, for fear of being reprimanded because she had disobeyed. But when the afternoon they all went to the beach to take a bath at sea Anna and Robert realized something was wrong. Jasmine liked being in the water, so why had she burst into tears in order not to go there? At that point Jasmine confessed everything.

From that day on, she began to be afraid of the water, conscious of the fact that she could have die. She never went where she did not touch and did not enter waters that were not clear. She was always on alert, even when the water was low. This also due to another couple of episodes of the following year. She was back to the sea, in a "safe" spot with water not too high. The first time the wind began to rise and a wave overwhelmed she suddenly; The second time the sea water was not very clear and it was invaded by jellyfish and she caught a couple of stings.

Despite all this, however, the water continued to please her, from a certain distance. She liked to look at the reflections it sent, it relaxed her. But she rarely dived. She also preferred the shower at the bathroom.

With the mind invaded by thoughts and memories, she went down into the kitchen to take a glass of water.

She really hoped that he would not have to relive similar experiences again.

A/N

Hello everyone!

Here unveiled an important aspect of Jasmine's personality.

And who knows why she sent that message to Jason...

I do not have much time, so I only say this: we are getting to the heart of history!

Thanks to  @zalenti for the comment and to @CamsterHale @Kearamoo and @QianaDietz for the votes!

See you soon!