Chapter 16 - New friends

Jasmine finally realized it that very moment that Jason had arrived at her open window after carrying out a massacre. Had he left any signs that could lead back to her, besides those of blood on the window and on the porch railing? If he had wanted to harm her family, she had served him everyone on a silver plate, including herself.

Although she didn't really care much about the bogus guide, the end that met him by Jason's hands was really atrocious, and who knows how many others had died that night thanks to the help she had given him. Sure, Jason would have done the same with or without her, but what she had meant as a simple gesture to put herself under good light could also have caused her and her parents a lot of trouble. What would have happened if the police had used the dogs and arrived in front of her house? What if Jason had left the ax somewhere and they found her fingerprints as well as those of the killer?

The girl felt observed, judged. No one there was actually looking at her, they were all too busy looking at the crime scene, but she sensed scornful looks all on her, bringing old not-so-pleasant memories to her mind. She couldn't stay there any longer, she didn't want to. Staring at the ground and her hair hiding the sides of her face, she pushed her way through the crowd, with her Finn following right behind her. Her "escape" didn't last long though, as she bumped into someone.

"Excuse me." Two voices said in unison, hers and another male and decidedly familiar one. She looked up, meeting Mike's tired and surprised gray-blue eyes.

"Jasmine!" Exclaimed the guy, who did not expect to find her there. "Hi, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, uh, hello... I... I came for a ride around town, but then..." she replied, with small nervousness in her voice. Her gaze returned to the shattered door and the yellow tape that marked the scene.

"Yeah... nice mess..." The two watched the scene for a few moments, while two agents dispersed the crowd. Someone, another agent, approached the two.

"Hey Mike, your father wants you at the hotel, they found the other boy."

"Alive?" He immediately asked, hopefully.

The colleague shook his head in the negative answer, going to take the news to the other policemen.

Mike sighed, running a hand over his stressed face, then turning to Jasmine.

"I'm sorry that we keep meeting always at the wrong time, which apparently is also always in the same place."

Jasmine, who had been listening and watching him, shook her head. "Nah, don't worry. Maybe it's me, I choose to come around at the least opportune moments. " She replied, smiling slightly, trying to lighting up the mood.

"Anyway I have to go so...I'll see you around?"

"Yes sure. Bye, and... good job. "

They both turned and began to go each on their own path. Mike, however, stopped almost immediately, calling the girl.

"Hey Jasmine!" He reached her again, blushing slightly. "I ... I'd be free for a while for lunch, would you like if ... we eat something together?"

The girl, taken a little off guard and with something else to think about, was unable to say no, also because Mike seemed to be a really good guy and the hopeful look with which he stared at her didn't help.

"Yes, that's fine." She smiled at him. "Are you ok if we go at the Red Corner? I have to go there anyway to see my parents, so..."

"Yes yes, that's pefect!" He said, smiling. "It's ok at 1p.m.?"

"Perfect."

"Ok! See you later then!"

"See you later!" This time it was she who watched the boy go away.