28. The Hall of Perfect Light (pt.1)

Our disappointing monkey god and his chic spidery companion stopped at a snack depot and got their food to go

Our disappointing monkey god and his chic spidery companion stopped at a snack depot and got their food to go. Since it hadn't been that long since they ate breakfast, Anari settled on a small order of fries and a large milkshake that she planned to share with Ritsu. The monkey however, helped himself to the triple-cheeseburger special.

The two spirits reached the entrance to the fairgrounds only to discover that the park was closed. Ritsu seemed content with finding somewhere else to have their lunch and coming back the next day, but Anari tossed her braids over her shoulder and started winding some spidersilk between her fingers.

"Is this something you do for your job?" Ritsu asked as he slipped through the opening Anari created with the help of her strong web.

The spider chuckled, only because she was positive that by now Bodhi and Ham Song would have guessed about the details of her line of work. The monkey, of course, was clueless of these things, despite the fact that he had witnessed her pulling off feats of stealth. Not to mention the fact that their first meeting involved local gangsters who were hunting her down.

Ritsu gawked at the scale of the attractions as they wandered through the quiet theme park. While the monkey was preoccupied, the spider gave herself permission to study him. She still hadn't cracked the code on what drew her to the clueless sun clone. All she knew was that she enjoyed spending time with him. It didn't matter what they were doing.

Anari thought it would be a good idea to share the milkshake with Ritsu at the top of the tallest peak of one of the rollercoasters. Since the rides were shut down, she had to use her spidersilk to transport herself and Ritsu to the desired height.

On the way up, the spider spirit noticed that Ritsu's body was a lot more relaxed compared to the first time she hauled him into the sky during the Peach Festival.

<Aww. Look at that. The monkey man trusts you.>

For once, Anari didn't dismiss her inner saboteur.

When the spider and the monkey were snug and secured in the cart, Sun Ritsu showed his companion how to combine the saltiness of the fries with the milkshake's sweetness. He dipped his fries in the ice cream and scooped it up like it was ketchup.

"What's wrong?" Ritsu asked after Anari wouldn't take the french fry. "You're afraid that you're not going to like it?"

Anari hesitated. "I've just never seen anyone eat their fries like this."

Ritsu raised an eyebrow and Anari's features settled into a wry smile before she gave his arm a playful punch. "I'm very picky when it comes to my sweet tooth."

Understanding sparked in Ritsu's golden brown eyes. "Oh, I see. Well," he popped the french fry in his mouth and went back for another, "can you just trust me this one time? If you don't like it, I'll give you all your food back and we won't have to talk about this ever again."