37. The Divine Cave of Three Stars (pt.1)

Hello, Dear Traveler and welcome to the next phase in our silly little saga. You're about to hear of The Divine Cave of Three Stars – a most exciting and monumental turning point in our humble monkey god tale.

At least, that's what I'm supposed to tell you. Honestly, just be prepared for a lot of collisions between big personalities.

What's that, Dear Traveler? You have questions before we begin? Well all right, let's hear them then.

Is Sun Leaf my real name? Of all things to ask me.... No, it is not. My real name is embarrassing. What's your other question?

Oh. Sweet immortal – no! I wouldn't do that to you, Dear Traveler. Sure, I will have to leave you at some point. But I don't have any intentions of doing what Sun Duza did and just ghost you like that. When I run out of tobacco, that's my cue to move on, but I will absolutely let you know first.

Right. Let's get into it.

The Divine Cave of Three Stars begins with our oh so cautious and ever observant spider...

Contrary to popular belief, the bulk of an assassin's job had less to do with the killing and more to do with sleuthing

Anari didn't carry weapons on her person. Such a thing was considered illegal in many parts of the Ninth Heaven. All she had were her fangs, her poison, and her silk. She could make her silken threads softer than a luminary's hair or make them cut like the sharpest wire.

You may not remember, but the source of Anari's weakness all boils down to running out of venom and silk. She absolutely must dedicate the energy reserves towards producing them on her own time before setting out on any serious mission.

Though Anari had worked under Sun Bai for many, many seasons, she had always felt like a stranger in a strange land. There were no other spider spirits that she knew of in the whole special ops department at Next Dimension. Or in the whole Ninth Heaven for that matter.

This fact both benefited and set Anari back. Due to the likelihood that her targets would be unfamiliar with her kind, it made them extremely vulnerable in the sense that they greatly underestimated or overlooked her potential to end their lives.

The flipside to this was that Anari had no reliable mentors while she was coming up as a newly groomed assassin. The truth is, spider spirits are not born with potent venom. At most, the poison from their fangs merely stings or slightly disorients a target if released directly into the bloodstream. That killing effect must be cultivated over time.

As you can probably surmise, many spiders don't have any reason to turn themselves into killing machines. They're much more concerned with having enough groceries to take care of their families or reinforcing their homes to weather the harshest tropical storms.

Anari is a bit of an anomaly among her own kind in that regard. She has always been. It's why she left the peaceful island giant where she was born. But more on that later, Dear Traveler.