40. The Divine Cave of Three Stars (pt.4)

Once the spirits had picked up some snacks and taken their seats in the stands with the rest of the attendees, Ham Song said, "I expected Sun Surina to be here, but not as a host

Once the spirits had picked up some snacks and taken their seats in the stands with the rest of the attendees, Ham Song said, "I expected Sun Surina to be here, but not as a host. I thought someone like her would compete for sure."

Seven ripped into his bag of cool ranch chips and said, "It's probably to avoid voting bias since she already has high ratings with the audience. It could start a riot if a judge gave her a score that her fans didn't agree with. The judging booth doesn't need that kind of pressure."

Bodhi pried open the top on their styrofoam cup and gently blew across the steaming surface. While their tea cooled off, they said, "What's up with everyone's glamour? Looks like Ritsu wasn't the only one whose tail broke through."

Ham Song gave a pointed snuff. "That's what happens when their kind gets competitive. Especially around each other."

Seven bit down on a chip and regarded the pig out of the side of his eye. "And you know this much about our kind because?"

Because I am older than you by deca-seasons! Ham Song wanted to say.

"The pig just knows weird stuff like that," Bodhi said in between sips. "Get used to it."

Ham Song wasn't sure if the monk was sticking up for him or cutting the conversation short out of boredom. Either way, Seven shrugged and went on describing exactly what kind of tournament they all were in for.

Meanwhile, Surina introduced the sports anchors to the crowd. A professional pair of spirits climbed onto the platform, one being a sun clone in a gray suit and pink tie who went by Sun Xiao Dan. Beside him stood a smartly dressed dog spirit with the head of a golden spitz named Chow Jia Hui. The judges were a handful of nondescript rabbits, one bovine, and what appeared to be an elderly sun clone.

"This time, it's all about the staff. The Sevenfold Peach is a staff-wielding competition after all. One rule this year is that the contestants are strictly forbidden from unlocking their Radiant State."

Ham Song looked over at Bodhi. "Did you know this, monk?"

Bodhi coolly kept their gaze on the lawn and sipped away at their tea. "You know I didn't read the rules, pig. Not that it would be a problem anyway. I can train Sun Ritsu to hold his own."

After everyone was introduced, Suri announced that the categories for each trial would remain a secret until after the opening ceremonies. That's when the lights dropped, leaving only the three bright orbs after which the stadium was named. They seemed to have detached themselves from the ceiling and moved about the interior on their own accord.

As the divine stars descended, a thick mist simultaneously rose up from the lawn. The bodies of the sun clones became shrouded in it and all the attention was drawn in by Surina's pop idol stance on the stage.

Then the deep bass of several hidden stereos started to pump through the space.

"What kind of opening ceremony is this?" Ham Song roared over the building hype. He was furious that he could no longer keep an eye on his dear monkey king. What if that scoundrel Sun Tie Quan used this blasted mist to try and get revenge on Sun Ritsu?