56. Nebula's Parting (pt.4)

Hello, Dear Traveler

Remember when I told you to get ready for Sun Tie Quan's performance? Well, that will have to wait.

Right now, let's turn our attention to the spider Anari, who is currently busting her tail to ensure that her boss is not onto her.

The last we saw of Anari, she was catching up with her old friend, Bodhi the monk. Though the visit hadn't gone quite as she had expected, I will say that our spider was no longer so on edge with the knowledge that Bodhi had her back. She was certain that the monk would keep everything between the two them and do their best to investigate the thread they had on Bai's potential spy.

Meanwhile, Anari was narrowing down her leads. Over the course of the wondrous and true trial, Sun Bai had several consecutive meetings in which he had tasked Anari to stand watch outside the room. He had requested that she keep a low profile to ensure that his guests could be as relaxed as possible.

"People are more their natural selves when they feel they are not being monitored."

Anari didn't argue with Bai because this worked out perfectly in her favor. The lowest profile Anari could keep was posing as a fly on the wall. Or, in her case, a spider.

Instead of keeping watch outside of the room where Bai held his meetings, Anari used her small size to her advantage and crept inside, hugging the cracks of the ceiling.

For the most part, the meetings were boring and the guests were none that piqued Anari's interest. Until the very last visitor of the day entered the room.

By this time Anari was about to fall asleep right there in the dusty crack where the ceiling met the wall. But then she heard the adorable, slightly squeaky voice of someone she very much recognized.

"Uh, where should I sit, Mister..."

"You can sit there. No 'mister' necessary. Just Bai is fine."

All eight of Anari's glassy eyes sprang open as wide as they could go. There was no mistaking who she saw sitting across from her boss.

Baobei – the cute consultant that Anari had booked back when she and the rest of our spiritual cadre docked at the Heavenly River.

Sun Bai offered the green corgi some sweets and hot tea. If Anari could sweat in this form, she'd be dripping all over the leather cushions below. Waiting for these pleasantries to be over and done with was agonizing.

Finally, as they were finishing up with refreshments, Bai said, "If you would, Baobei, tell me everything that you know as it pertains to the Golden Compliant Rod."

With this simple command, the cute consultant corgi recounted what she knew about the legend of the Rod. According to her, the water levels of the Heavenly River had risen dramatically in recent seasons, indicating that the Rod had entered the boundary of the Rabbit Province.