35. Like Scooping the Moon from the Water (pt.3)

This wasn't over

This wasn't over. Not by a long shot.

At least that's what Ham Song wanted to believe. He stood there alone in the street, breathing rather heavily even though he had hardly exerted himself. I suppose yelling at Sun Ritsu moments ago had knocked the wind out of him.

It was as Ham Song had feared. He would have to call on them for help with this situation. Bodhi was the only spirit this side of the Heavenly River who could get that damn monkey to listen to reason.

As Ham Song trundled through the maze of back alleys, he couldn't shake off the disbelief of what had recently transpired.

What was that just now?

Sun Ritsu, his benevolent monkey king, had left him behind.

This wasn't odd behavior for the spideress and definitely not that wet excuse for a monk. But Ritsu wasn't like normal spirits. He didn't leave his friends behind.

Ham Song reprimanded himself for his actions. He had pushed the monkey king too far.

Or... had he really?

This wasn't the first time that Ham Song had let his passion get the best of him. He was known to lose his composure in the midst of trying to sway Sun Ritsu's heart. So why would his behavior come as a surprise to Ritsu now? Did something change?

Or could it have been something else entirely?

A sudden breeze whipped around the corner and kicked up the litter in the alley. Ham Song felt a gentle tug underfoot. He glanced down and with a curious snort, lifted his leg. That pesky tournament flyer was stuck to the underside of his hoof.

The Sevenfold Peach Championship.

What was it about this silly tourney that drove Sun Ritsu to behave so out of character?

"Woof."

Ham Song looked up to see two dog spirits towering over him. They weren't corgis. Their glamour was weak enough for him to notice that one had spots and the other couldn't keep his tongue in his mouth.

"Huh, check out this pig. Must be nice to Lucky and fat."

Ham Song shuffled to the side, pardoning himself.

But when he tried to step around the two mongrels, they simply got in his way again.

"Drop some more Luck and we'll let you go," the spotted one said.

Ham Song bristled. "I don't know how to do that." He could tell by the lightness in his shoulders that he had already shed some Luck just by standing in the shadow of the dog spirits. What more could they possibly want?

"Look here, porky pie," the one with the lopsided tongue dropped to Ham Song's level and deliberately leaned close enough to lick him if he wanted.

"If you don't stop being so fucking stingy with the Luck, then we'll just take you with us. It's not cute to leave food lying about in the streets."