39. The Divine Cave of Three Stars (pt.3)

"Are you done in there?" Bodhi called out to Ritsu while he was trying on his tracksuit

For those who were none the wiser, the monk seemed to be their regular, nonchalant self. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. It hadn't been even ten minutes since they left the pig and Bodhi was already sweating. They didn't want to have anything to do with this impending private chat with Sun Ritsu.

The monk paced the room, doing their best to suppress the mounting anxiety before Ritsu saw them like this.

"Yeah, I'm done." Ritsu said as he finally emerged from the bathroom. The sight of him in waxy lemon lime sweats stopped Bodhi in their tracks.

Had something happened while Ritsu was getting dressed, Bodhi wondered. Because the sun clone's skin was giving off a steady glow. Just like it did when he chugged that can of peach soda that one time.

Ritsu raised an eyebrow and scratched the back of his head. "How do I look?"

Before Bodhi could answer, the sun clone turned to study himself in the full-sized mirror. Bodhi fought the urge to stare too hard.

"Like a heaven born sage," they said with a shrug. It was a favorable term of flattery among sun clones, but this was Ritsu, so of course he didn't have much of a reaction.

"I'm glowing like the rest of the monkey spirits down there, but I don't know why. Maybe it's the clothes."

Bodhi couldn't take it anymore.

"Sun Ritsu, I'm sorry for what I did." They met Ritsu's gaze in the mirror. "I was being careless and got myself arrested when it didn't have to be that way. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have had to stay in the village. So that's why..."

So many feelings started bubbling at the surface. Especially now that Ritsu had stopped fiddling with his jacket zipper and turned around to face Bodhi without any barriers.

Bodhi steadied themself with a deep breath. "That's why if I relapse and get myself into trouble again... I want you to just leave me. Please."

Ritsu's glamour flickered. Bodhi watched in disbelief as their friend's tail broke through his glamour and coiled in agitation.

The sun clone came closer. "Don't." He seized Bodhi by their shoulders and drew them inside his golden shadow. "Bodhi, don't ever tell me to leave you behind again. If you want to go on ahead, that's one thing, but don't expect me to abandon you just because you asked!"

Bodhi couldn't move. Not from fear or any aggression on Ritsu's side. The monk was downright shocked. When had Ritsu started talking like this?

Dear Traveler, you must remember that it is Ham Song who, at this point in time, was the only one among Ritsu's companions who has seen the monkey's determination and show of heart when it comes to Bodhi's well-being. The human, however, wasn't ready for it. Not in the slightest.