Chapter 20: Cry Baby | Say Something

John

It's not like I didn't see it coming!

But come on, there's a difference in knowing it's coming and then when it actually comes! It's like death, you know it's coming you just don't want it to!

So, I braced myself. But eventually, you gotta live your life. You gotta move on. I mean, life is for the living, am I right? I enjoyed her, I fought for her, literally, and I would do it all over again!

"What?!" - I asked her, gobsmacked.

"I'm not gonna repeat that!" - Rosalyn sassed me. She didn't look very happy for someone who  finally had a mate dream.

"Who is he?" - Emmett asked her. He looked so worried you'd think he wasn't meeting his mate for the first time ever.

"I can't say!" - She replied, curtly.

"What?! Are you lying?!" - Emmett looked at her suspiciously.

"I would never lie about this and you know it!" - She rebuked in an annoyed tone.

She's right. No one would ever lie about a mate bond!

"Are you joking?" - I asked her. It was rotten, I know, but it was the best I could think of on the spot. I was in denial. My worst nightmare has come true!

"Do I look like I'm joking?!" - She retorted, looking me dead in the eyes.

"Guys, give Rosalyn a minute to breathe! She'll talk about it when she's ready!" - Uncle Dan came to the rescue. We started walking out of the house and into the car.

"Is it a girl?" - Emmett asked her with a mischievous smile.

"His dick is bigger than yours!" - Rosalyn snickered. I laughed, though I probably shouldn't.

"Rosalyn, language!" - Uncle Dan reprimanded. - "Let's go, now!" - He ordered. We hasted our steps.

We all get into the car. My dad had already left with Matt. So I was on my own with the Huntingtons for now.

As Uncle Dan was driving, we all just stood there, silently. But Emmett looked very worried.

Rosalyn looked distraught. I'd think she'd be jumping up and down by now. But no.

"Rosalyn, do you think your mate is gonna be at the county fair? Is that why you are so secretive about it? Because you know you'll find him before Emm finds his?" - Uncle Felix asked her and we all gasped. To be honest, it does make some sense. And Rosalyn could definitely pull it off!

"What?!" - Emm shouted. He was gobsmacked. So were all of us.

"I knew it wasn't going to be this easy! I knew the Goddess had a card up her sleeve. I can't believe this is actually gonna be a race, after all. I can't believe she is making you find your mate at the same place I am! I mean, come on!" - Emm yelled, incredibly upset.

"Son, to be honest, this was too easy for you anyway! But when she didn't appear because of a "family emergency" my sixth sense told me there was more to the story. I think the Goddess is bored and are making you both run for it!" - Uncle Dan spoke in an amusing tone. He even air quoted family emergency and he was driving.

"I know, dad. I thought it was strange too when she didn't come yesterday! But I've never thought the Goddess would pull this one on me! On us!" - Emm replied, disturbed.

Rosalyn started crying, loudly. She sounded desperate as the tears fell.

"Why are you crying?!" - I asked her, worriedly.