Trulla Chapter: Act 1 (Part 2)

"Paimon.." Xiangling muttered, looking closely at your floating companion.

"Why are you looking at Paimon like that..?" Paimon asked, tilting her head to the side as you all stared at Xiangling.

"What an exotic creature! Is it edible?" Xiangling questioned.

"Go ahead. Dig in." Aether replied without hesitation, making Paimon look at him in disbelief. You covered your mouth with your hand, trying to hide your chuckles.

"Paimon is not food! (Y/N) tell Aether that Paimon is not food!" Paimon cried out, grabbing your arm and shaking it while pointing at Aether.

"Oh, calm down dear. I'm sure Aether won't let anyone eat you while I'm here. You're our friend." you replied as you patted Paimon's head while giving Aether a light glare, making the blonde shrug his shoulders with a small laugh.

"Aw, that's a bummer. Can't eat it if it's your friend. You guys seem like good friends. Anyways, can you guys help me hunt? There's lots of game around here that would be amazing to cook with. I can't catch anything to save my life and I don't want to miss out. I'll whip you up some tasty snack later!" Xiangling stated.

"We're in! Aether and (Y/N) are the bestest hunters ever!" Paimon proudly exclaimed, gesturing towards you and the blonde. Both you and Aether glanced at each other and sighed. Nothing can stop Paimon when it comes to food.

----------

"How did we even end up here.." Aether muttered beside you as you both followed Xiangling and Paimon to look for some ingredients that Xiangling can use for the cooking competition. You let out a small chuckle and patted Aether's shoulder in reassurance.

"Come now, dear. I'm sure it won't be that bad. You might get to learn a recipe or two when we watch the cook-off between Xiangling and Brook." you replied with a grin, watching as Aether let out a sigh.

Your eyes drifted down towards Aether's bandaged arm. Your eyes narrowed and your grin became strained when you recalled the taste of Aether's blood on your tongue. Not too sweet, not too bitter, just the taste you find amazing when you find a perfect body to devour. You were trying your best that night to not give in to the blonde's persistence when he offered you his wounded arm.

You admit that he was being kind but you didn't want him dead yet. Who else will bring you a front row seat to some good entertainment other than him?

"How's your arm?" you questioned the blonde, making him look down to his wound then back to your gaze.

"Hm? Oh, it doesn't hurt much like last night. I just feel sore whenever I move it around. It's nothing too bad." Aether informed, giving you a reassuring smile.

"I'm truly sorry for biting you. I hope you don't mind having a scar on your arm considering my teeth punctured your skin too deep. I suppose you can name it 'The Bite of 1930s'! Haha! Let me tell you dear, I haven't bitten anyone that deep and lived to tell the tale!" you exclaimed, chuckling at your own joke.

"1930s?" Aether asked, a look of confusion on his face.

"It's the year I... turned into a demon, dear." you answered, being careful of your words.

"Turned into a demon.. what happened that day?" Aether asked, tilting his head to the side when he saw you stop in your tracks to face him.

"I'd rather not talk about it, darling. But I'm actually lucky to be able to witness the stock market crash of 1929! Ahaha! So many orphans.." you stated, wiping away a tear after calming yourself down from your laughing fit.

"Hey! Hurry up you two! This is no time to be lovey-dovey to each other! Do that in private!" Paimon called out, making you and Aether quickly turn to your floating companion with reddened faces.

"Bold of you to assume we're being romantic with each other, dear. Keep that up and I'm not cooking anymore meals for you!" you replied as you walked towards Paimon, leaving behind a flustered Aether.

----------

You stared at the shivering man in front of you with a small grin on your face.

"We need to warm him up quick!" Xiangling exclaimed.

"We have to make a fire!" Paimon stated, looking back and forth between your group and the man.

"I can burn him alive." you suggested, raising your hand and creating a small flame as you aimed it towards the man. Aether stared at you with wide eyes, grabbing your hand as he tried to put out the flame.

"No, we are not doing that. Maybe some hot soup instead? We did passed by a hilichurl camp nearby there could be a campfire there to cook something up. (Y/N) and I will be back!" Aether exclaimed as he held your hand and quickly walked away from the others, bringing you along towards the hilichurl camp.

"Why didn't you let me burn the man?" you innocently asked as you watched Aether whip up some soup for the man.

"You don't just burn someone alive, (Y/N)..." Aether replied, placing the soup in a small bowl before standing up.

"But he won't be cold anymore, darling. A simple solution to a simple problem." you retaliated, following Aether as you both walked back to where the others were waiting. You grinned when Aether turned back to look at you with a raised brow.

"Yeah.. I think I won't be leaving your side from now on... just to make sure you don't burn anyone alive." Aether stated, quickly looking away to hide his blush when he noticed your stare towards him while trying his best not to drop the bowl of soup.

"A-anyways, let's hurry back." Aether exclaimed as he walked away, leaving you behind with an amused expression.

----------

You blew on the whistle as you waved around two flags with Xiangling's and Aether's name on each one. Paimon floated beside you, also cheering for the two as you both watched them run around the area to cook meals for the judges.

You don't see a lot of males cooking a meal or two. It would be nice to have someone cook for you but your cooking will still be superior to them. Your mother always told you that nothing is more delicious than homemade meals.

You noticed something in the corner of your eye as you turned to see cryo slimes going near Xiangling's cooking area. You continued to cheer with Paimon while summoning a few shadow minions.

The shadow minions saluted towards you as you pointed them towards the small group of slimes. They immediately understood your message as they made their way to the slimes and quickly took them out.

Aether stopped to catch his breath as he glanced to the left to see you and Paimon cheering for him and Xiangling. Aether was surprised to see some shadows behind you waving multiple flags and banners around.

You noticed Aether staring at you as you looked at your shadows then back to Aether. You gave the blonde a grin and winked at him, letting out a chuckle when you noticed his face becoming red.

After ten minutes of cheering and Paimon's begging for food. You watched as the judges tasted the meals from Xiangling's and Brook's group.

The judges announced that Xiangling was the winner of the cook-off. Everyone began to congratulate the girl as you went besides your blonde companion. You happily patted Aether on the back, ignoring how he staggered forward a bit from the impact.

"My, isn't this a great way to end the day? You did a good job assisting Xiangling with cooking till the end!" you exclaimed, wrapping your arm around Aether's neck and pulling him down to your height.

"T-thanks, (Y/N). I got more motivated when you were cheering for us earlier. Thank you for that." Aether stated, scratching his reddened cheeks as he tried too look at something else other than you.

"Well, I'm here to support the both of you, darling! What kind of demon companion would I be if I don't cheer on for my traveling partner and new friend?" you replied, giving Aether a side hug with a large grin plastered on your face.

"Who knows, I might even let you assist me whenever I cook a meal. Considering you did do well as an assistant here, I might need your company in the kitchen sometimes." you thought aloud as you hold your chin in thought, making Aether quickly look at you.

"Wait, really? I can?" Aether asked as you let go of him and grinned.

"Maybe~"