Chapter 34

"..A demon dared to intrude upon the sanctity of Mt. Hulao. Not only that, you destroyed the amber of my mountain and you have freed a thief whose freedom is not yours to give..." Mountain Shaper trailed off as he glared at you and Aether, mostly you.

"The thieves' ignorance was an affront to the adepti.. but your actions are an abomination of the highest order!" Mountain Shaper stated.

"I don't see any problem with it at all. I may be a demon but have you seen me destroy this mountain? You're actually lucky I'm being held back by a curse from Rex Lapis right now or else I would already be claiming this mountain as mine--" you were suddenly cut off by Paimon and Aether as they covered your mouth with their hands to quiet you down.

"Ha! That is a rightful punishment fitted for a demon like you!" Mountain Shaper exclaimed, laughing at your current situation.

Aether was confused when he saw blood dripping down from your chin. Slowly removing his and Paimon's hand away from your mouth, Aether noticed your grin became forced as blood continued to drip down your mouth from how hard you held your grin.

Aether cleared his throat and showed Mountain Shaper the Sigil of Permission, making the adeptus turn his head away from you to look at the item.

"Speak. One shall listen to the matter which brings you here, then one shall verify the truth thereof. You would be wise to speak the truth, for Liyue is not so far from here that one would be easily deceived." Mountain Shaper stated as Aether explained to him the events at the Rite of Descension.

You chuckled in amusement when Mountain Shaper accused you for eliminating Rex Lapis to which you simply denied as you showed him the curse that was spreading through your arm and informed him of how it's triggered. You stuck out a middle finger with your cursed hand and grinned at Mountain Shaper once he has finally understood that it wasn't you who assassinated his god. You're not sure what the feathered adeptus' reaction was but you can tell he was 'slightly' pissed off.

"Traveler, of the matter you have relayed, one has become aware. One now knows why Moon Carver has sent for us." Mountain Shaper exclaimed as he ignored you, making you cross your arms.

"One will depart as soon as one has attended to this matter. One trusts that the manner of your departure will be swifter in nature." Mountain Shaper said.

"See you later then, my feathered friend!" you happily exclaimed as you waved goodbye to the adeptus.

"Hmph." Mountain Shaper replied as he glanced at you before flying off to who knows where.

"I am positive I managed to get to his good side, yes indeedy!" you announced with a small laugh as you looked at your companions and noticed them giving you an odd look.

"What?" you asked, tilting your head to the side as your ears slightly twitched.

"You just insulted an adeptus..." Aether trailed off as you shrugged in reply.

"In my world, which is Hell, it is a form of greeting. I saw other demons do it to make friends with fellow demons." you explained with an innocent smile, recalling the times when Angel Dust kept sticking up his middle fingers to multiple demons he comes across.

You kept asking why he was doing it since it is considered rude but Angel Dust told you that it's now 'how you make friends in the new generation' to which you understood but was still unsure why that would become a friendly gesture.

"Oh.. let's change that greeting instead. Maybe only do that gesture to someone you really hate instead?" Aether suggested while Paimon nodded beside him.

"I see. Very well then! Shall we head off to search for Cloud Retainer?" you asked as you and your companions went down Mt. Hulao and began to search for the next adeptus.

----------

"This is quite peculiar.." you muttered as you and Paimon observed the table in the middle of the small lake at Mt. Aocang. Looking at the names engraved in each seat places beside the table.

"Paimon has an idea! How about we cook up some extra-special dishes for the adepti? We're sure to get Cloud Retainer's affection that way!" Paimon suggested.

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea, dear. I trust that you won't eat the food Aether and I will be cooking before we even offer it to the adepti." you replied, giving Paimon a look as she fiddled her fingers and laughed nervously.

You slightly narrowed your eyes and grinned down at Paimon, crossing your arms as you watched Paimon try to avoid your gaze.

"You won't eat it, won't you dear?" you asked.

"Um... Paimon will try not to eat it. Maybe just a little bite?" Paimon suggested, giving you puppy eyes and hoping that you'll let her slide.

"No dear. That technique of yours won't work on me." you replied as Aether lightly chuckled at the scene before him while Paimon whined.

"Unless of course, you behave like a good Paimon.. then maybe I can serve you a meal or two?" you stated, noticing Paimon's eyes lit up as she flew up to you to give you a hug.

"Oh thank you thank you (Y/N)! Paimon will be a good Paimon! Promise!" Paimon happily exclaimed as you patted her head in reply, sharing an amused smile with Aether.

"I'm quite curious though.. what do adepti creatures even eat?" you wondered aloud as Aether and Paimon shrugged in response.

"Well.. I'm sure people make offerings here from time to time. Let's look around for any ingredients or leftovers lying around. Maybe we can get an idea or two on what we can offer for the adepti." Aether stated.

"Would it be possible that the adepti would like to try some.. Sticky Honey Roast?" Paimon asked, drool coming out of her mouth.

"Darling you'll probably be the only one eating that dish rather than the adepti." you replied, pulling out a handkerchief and wiped away Paimon's drool.