1 Evie

"Two tequila shots!" I yelled across the bar, leaning forward so the bartender could hear me over the driving base of the music in the club. The beat so catchy I couldn't keep my hips from wriggling in time as I leaned over the bar. Before remembering my dress was too short for this position and standing slightly straighter while my drinks were made. Tugging the dress down my thighs another inch. Two small disposable plastic shot glasses were put in front of me, I paid with my smartwatch on the machine with a tap of my wrist and carefully picked up the amber shots, trying to walk steadily back to the small table Sara was leaning against.

I put the two drinks on the table, sliding one over to Sara, holding on to my own. "One, two," Sara counted before we both shouted three and tossed the shots down our throats in sync. My body shivered as the alcohol burned its way down to warm my belly. Sara making a face like she had licked a battery before sticking her tongue out and coughing once.

"I'm getting the next drinks, no more shots." Her voice almost shouting so I could hear her over the music. She rolled her shoulders, looking around the club. It was packed, the music loud and the lights low. It was perfect for a girls night out.

I nodded my head at her. Smiling, at my best friend. "Dance?" I shouted at her. She grinned and reached my hand, leading me to the dance floor. Both our hips shimmying with the beat of the music as we made our way onto the crowded dance floor.

Letting the beat move us, Sara and I started to dance on the crowded dance floor. The music was so loud I could feel every bump of the base in my chest. Talking was impossible, thankfully Sara and I had lived together for years now. We didn't need words to communicate effectively anymore. I saw the familiar quirk of her eyebrow letting me know we were being approached a moment before someone moved into my space, warm clamy hands on my hips encouraging me to dance closer. A second man stepped in front of Sara. Pressing his knee between her legs as she moved into his embrace, moving her body sinfully against his.

Sara's mystery partner looked attractive enough and she didn't mouth 'troll' at me letting me know I should walk away. I cranked my neck to look behind me. He was a little plain looking, and I could feel he was a little on the softer side. More doughy than the firm muscular bodies I typically sought out. He wasn't awful, and did have a good sense of rhythm as we both moved together to the music.

I watched as Sara led her prey to the edge of the dance floor. She was already locked to his lips, her tongue down his throat as his hands roamed her body. I turned in to face my conquest. He looked almost overwhelmed, we might be in a big city known for its nightlife, but this guy was giving me strong small town, corn fed farmer boy vibes. I wasn't sure if he was worth a roll in the hay, would hate to be left unsatisfied by a man unable to keep up with me.

As I was debating whether or not to throw this fish back, my smartwatch vibrated, a message from Sara she was taking her date back to our room. I tapped the automatic reply already waiting, letting her know I'd give her two hours.

Which now meant I had to find some way to occupy myself for two whole hours before I could crash in our shared cheap hotel room for the night. Mr doughy farm boy had lucked out, I would at least give him a chance to see if he could be entertaining. Mimicking Sara, using one of our signature moves I danced the stranger further away from the speakers.

I tilted my face up towards him, he wasn't that much taller than me so it was easy to lean up and kiss him. His lips were soft, that was the kindest thing I could say. He froze like a deer in headlights, going stiff and not in a good pant tenting kind of way. I could smell his sweat, sour in my nose. He fumbled his hands like he didn't know what he was doing, worse his kiss was weak, his tongue trying to stab into my mouth. No finesse or skill.

I broke the kiss with a resigned sigh. "Have a good night." I said loudly to be heard over the loud music. I saw his face start to fall, as I turned on my heels heading to the coat check. Handing over my ticket, getting my patch and pin covered denim jacket and the small bag that had my phone and wallet safely inside. Checking that everything was still in place, satisfied that the employee manning the coat check was honest and nothing was missing, I reached for the exit when a large hand encircled my upper arm.

"You can't just tease and leave." farm boy had followed me, and was now making a scene. His voice gruff, eyes angry.

"I sure as fuck can, let me go before I make you." I growled back at him. This wasn't the first time a guy went from possible option to toxic on me. All this did was prove without a doubt that he couldn't handle a night with me. Wasn't worth the time I had already wasted on him.

If anything his hold on my arm tightened as he glared at me. "I'm going to get what-" his voice was promptly cut short as I slammed my opposite fist into his face, making sure I hit his nose square on. Once he let go of my arm to cup his now broken nose, I kicked him in the balls, sending him to the floor. Skipping out the door as bar staff approached.

I ran down the street, hearing someone call out once to wait. Which of course I didn't. I ran down the nearly deserted city streets, staying to ones that were brightly lit. My heels echoing on the sidewalk. Once I started to feel winded I turned around to see if anyone had followed me. The coast was clear behind me, as I turned ready start sprinting again, I crashed into a wall that hadn't been there before and was bounced backwards, falling inelegantly on my ass on the sidewalk.

As a reflex my eyes had closed when I was falling, "Ow" I whined from the ground, my tail bone aching from the hard landing. Opening my eyes I saw it wasn't a wall I had crashed into, it was a man. A different man. This one looked much more to my tastes.

"Sorry!" he blurted out, offering his hand to help me get back to my feet, "I didn't see you, are you alright?" I swear I felt a spark travel from where our hands met as I put my hand in his, letting him help me up. Wincing as my ass let me know it had not enjoyed the fall at all. It was going to be a giant dark bruise for days now. I hoped it wouldn't be visible in my swimsuit, mine and Sara's next hotel had a pool I wanted to enjoy.

"I'm OK, it's my fault I should have looked where I was running." I couldn't help myself from ogling him, broad strong shoulders, deep chocolate hair, matching eyes, warm tanned skin. Full lips I wanted to sink my teeth into. Damn why hadn't I ran into him earlier tonight.

"Where's the fire?" his voice was deep, rumbling through my chest like a purr. He had an aura about him that made me feel like he could hold his own against me easily, maybe even be more than I could handle in bed.

I looked down at our still entwined hands, and I swore I saw him blush as he let go of my hand, his nostrils flaring just once. I smiled, eyeing the diner behind him, "No fire, just in a rush to get some food before meeting my friend." Deciding just this moment that I would run out the clock on Sara's monopoly on our room by eating some fries to soak up some of the shots I had drank. We had another long drive tomorrow and driving hungover was miserable.

"I could use a midnight snack," I did not miss the way he eyed my body just as hard as I had his, "Would you mind some company..." he trailed off.

I stuck my hand out for him to shake, "Evie, and you are?" giving us both a chance to introduce ourselves.

"Luca," a smile split his face as we shook hands, "Is that a yes to sharing a table Evie?"

My teeth nipped at my lower lip, nodding. I liked hearing him say my name. But I had used my real name. I never gave my real name, social media was a curse, I had enough strange men trying to slide into my DMs as it was, I didnt ever want a one night stand to come looking for seconds. At least I had only shared my nickname. Evie could be short for a bunch of names, hopefully this wall of muscle wasn't the creepy stalker type. With a deep breath we walked into the blindingly bright diner together.