48 Luca

Everything went still as I caught Evie in my arm, picking her up as all her strength vanished with the last spark of magic she gave away. She had glowed so bright with magic that even I had been able to see the power in her.

I was in awe, distracted, I was taking a moment to revere my mate Evie. That moment had been enough to almost ruin everything. Rocket had come up behind me, swiftly pulling my arm out of the shoulder socket, preventing me from reacting to anything but the pain. Holding me in a choke hold. An ice cold blade biting into my skin. Far too cold to be a normal blade, there was something evil trapped in the knife.

I hated myself. My moment of weakness was going to ruin everything. I felt Evie, her heart filling with fear and dread as she looked at me while Rocket taunted her. Promising to let me go if Evie did what he wanted. I could feel Evie's heart. Whatever she was doing with all that magic. She couldn't stop. Not without her entire plan coming apart. I tried to let her know I was ok. That if I had to die, it would be worth it to know her and our child would be safe. I would die believing she was pregnant. I would follow her even into death if I needed to. 

Then everything went wild. A bear, wolves and dragons all descending upon the battle ground. Turning the tides once again. Rocket switched to calling out to the enormous bear shifter, calling it Alpha Queen, followed by more threats and insults. Rocket liked to hear his own voice. His vanity was his undoing.

Evie had finished whatever it was that demanded her focus. I had to fight back my urge to vomit as Evie went into a rage and seemed to skin Rocket alive before tearing him apart only for each part to burst into flames.

Everything went still. I watched Evie as a million tiny fireflies of light poured from her finger tips up to the sky. Each spark of light a seed of magic she was giving away. The entire battle had only taken less than half an hour. The last Firefly left her hand, only to settle in her own belly. Our baby. It was real and would have magic of her own.

I saw Evie's eyes flutter, she had used all her strength. I rushed and caught her. Holding her with my good arm. Delia was there seemingly the next instant. Healing my busted shoulder as a naked Melody appeared where the bear had just been. Alexander shifting to be by her side, both helped to guide the ball joint back into place.

Feeling tired from the forced healing, I carried Evie back to the bus, intending to start heading home when I heard a shrill call to stop from a voice I knew well.

"I did as she asked! I saw the magic move, not all my chosen were given magic! Where did she send all the magic?" Josephine was nearly equal parts manic and enraged, I could scent her frustration. "She needs to explain herself!" Josephine's voice only getting more shrill.

Evie's eyes flinched. I wasn't sure if it was a nightmare, or the harsh tone of Josephine's voice that troubled her. "Shut up Josephine." I heard myself say. Making the older woman sputter that I couldn't speak to her that way.

"I think he can talk to you any way he pleases aunt Jo." Laurel was here now, looking at Josephine like she was an annoying, spoiled child. "Evie sent the magic your mistakes allowed into our world to those who are certain to use their new gifts for good. She gave you a chance to collect as many as you could, she never promised to give magic to all those you chose." Laurel gave Josephine a very pointed look, "Your previous choices were fallible after all. Now take your army, enjoy the new blessings gifted and leave." Josephine went pale, but nodded her head and retreated.

Laurel turned to me, "There is an airport not far from here, Damon's plane is waiting to take you and Evie home." Laurel kissed Evie's cheek, her frown softening on her sleeping face "Evie dreams of other worlds, keep her safe Luca. We will finish up here." Dragons already moving witches who had slit their own throats after finding all their magic gone being bundled into a pyre to burn.

The Chaseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें