2 Luca

The moment I had walked into Howler's doing my regular rounds of security checks for my Alpha I had scented something in the air that made my mouth water, set my wolf on edge. Teeth elongating in my mouth before I reigned myself in. Finally, I was close to finding my mate. She was hiding in this club, and I was going to hunt her down.

I zeroed in on her, as she waited at the dutch door to the coat check closet, long shining ebony locks flowing down to the middle of her back in soft subtle waves. I was across the bar, growling as I made my way to her. That dress was indecent for anywhere but my bedroom, her long legs on full display, peachy bottom barely covered by the skin tight black tank dress.

I had almost made it to her, looking at the patch and pin covered denim jacket she put on as she tried to exit, only for some jackass to appear out of nowhere and put his filthy hands on her. I saw her lips move, her face stern and unafraid as I got ready to flip tables and people out of the way to rescue her. I had to stop in my tracks as I watched her wind up a fierce punch, landing on his nose before she kicked her high heel clad foot in his family jewels and ducked out into the street.

I was not expecting that. My shock giving her a head start. I walked by the now screaming fool on the ground as he clutched at his crotch then face like he couldn't decide which hurt more. I spared a glance at him, she had broken his nose and I was impressed. Feisty little thing my mate was. The jackass was lucky she already let him have it. I would have broken more than just his nose for the way he manhandled her. He was getting off easy tonight. I didn't have time to teach him a lesson on respecting women tonight. I had a mate to catch.

I stepped out into the cool night air. Looking left and right, she had already run far enough to no longer be on this block. Thankfully, I didn't need to see her to follow her. All I needed to do was follow that mouth watering scent. I ducked through a couple side alleys to make up some time, to catch up to her. Following her scent and clacking if her heels on the sidewalk. I wasn't expecting her to run directly into me as I emerged from an alley.

Everything went in slow motion as she bounced back after running nearly full speed into me, falling backwards and landing hard on her backside, I saw her wince and grimace as her tailbone took the brunt of the impact. Regret filling me as the first time I laid eyes on her face, she was in pain and it was my fault.

Immediately I offered her my hand, her eyes opening, I didn't miss how she gave my body a solid once over with her eyes. A moment before the heady scent of her arousal filled my nose. As she put her small hand in mine, I felt the sparks true mates always spoke of. She was mine and I was already hers.

Her eyes were a stormy gray green color, same as the ocean in a storm, her skin pale, with a heavy dusting of freckles over her nose and cheek bones. She was breathtakingly beautiful. The only flaw was the scent of that jackass she had flattened all over her.

She agreed to share a table and we walked into the bright diner together. I could see the other men already inside turn and molest her with their eyes. Between that and the scent of the jackass on her I was having a more than difficult time keeping my wolf in check.

I already knew my firecracker mate was pure human, I would need to take this slow, actually woo her instead of claiming and mating like I had always thought this moment would go. I had always pictured myself with another shifter, a wolf most of the time, though a few wildcats had caught my eye over the years. I did not have any experience trying to date a human. Too delicate I had always thought.

The new permanent smile on my face faded as she inched her way into the padded vinyl booth, she had fallen hard, would be bruised and sore for days. A brief worry that she would prove to be too delicate for me and my bedroom preferences. Humans were weaker, and healed so slowly. The wolf inside snarling at me for disrespecting her. I didn't have time to argue with him, she was right there, and spending too much time in my head ignoring her wouldn't make a good impression.