28 Evie

I felt shy. Nervous and insecure in a way I hadn't experienced in such a long time. I started off brazen, ready, wanting to fuck Luca. He was hot. His body was unreal, I wanted to melt myself over him to feel the contours of his muscles. He smelled so good, his touch made my skin buzz in excitment. He was thoughtful and I wanted to feel something good. Something really good.

As I undressed, feeling his eyes on me. Feeling his heart in my heart. He was reverent, adoring as he looked at my body. His eyes weren't leering, his gaze was a caress over my skin. This wasn't going to be fucking. This would be different. I didn't know what to do with this.

"We don't have to do anything Evie..." Luca said. Immediately stepping back. I knew instantly that if I said no, he would actually listen to me. Could feel it in my bones that he would love and respect me. That he already did. It only made things more complicated in my own head.

I nodded, moving to the bed and tucking myself under the covers quickly. I wasn't ready. I didn't know what to do, so I asked for what I wanted to feel, what I could handle right now. "Can you, just, hold me now." Luca nodded and started to come to bed. Only kicking off his shoes as he lifted the covers. "Less clothes." I still wanted to feel him. Impossibly fast, and with a sound that was certainly some seams giving way after being forced too quickly, Luca was under the covers, his chest firmly pressed to my back, curling me against his body. His arms moving around to hold me just right.

"Like this?" He asked, burying his nose in my hair. Scenting it deeply. I could feel how much he enjoyed just that small intimate moment. How it affected him. My skin felt alive. I knew Fireflies weren't really hot to the touch nor would they arc and shock you on contact. The way my skin tingled everywhere it met Luca's skin reminded me of fireflies dancing over tall grasses in the wind. Beautiful and magical and real all at once. He was practically purring like a happy housecat now.

"Perfect." I whispered, and snuggled even tighter against him. "This, still real?" I asked. Mostly recovered from my brief break with understanding reality. Still needing reassurance as I put the ground back together under my feet.

"Very real." Luca whispered into my ear, his breath warm against my skin. "My mate is in bed with me, she knows we are fated. There has never been a better reality." He held me tight. A flood of peaceful contentment overwhelming everything I was feeling. He meant it. So deeply in his bones, to his soul he believed his words. I gave up my feelings, and let his fill me up instead.

None of my fears. None of my doubts. Just him. How sure he was that he loved me. That just holding me was more than enough for him. I was basking in it like a lizard on a sun warmed rock. "I love you." The words barely a whisper on my breath as they passed my lips. 

The absolute torrent of joy that followed my barely there words overwhelmed me. "I've loved you forever Evie." He said, clearly. Proud and sure in his words. This was as close to a moment of bliss as I had ever been. I tried to savor it. Feel how it felt.

I was counting Luca's heart beats. Feeling his breath, his skin, his everything. "This is real." I whispered to myself. As Luca's heart beat slowed, and the clock on the mantle made a funny sound. I looked around, The smokey snake was back out where I could see it. It had briefly tucked itself away. Now was a sharp reminder of what I was trying so hard to ignore.

I had magic, and right now my magic was agitated. Something was bothering it. I turned my head. Trying to focus on it. Trying to understand what the various turns of its head, flicks of the split tongue meant. I felt Luca about to ask me what I was looking at when His breathing slowed to almost a stop. There was an alarm on both of our phones, it seemed stuck on one note for far too long.

My snake and I felt magic. Both turning to look as a slice opened up in the air, bright white light, reminding me of my time as an office assistant, watching the light bar move along the seams of the copier machine lid and scanner. Except this time the blinding white light was making a doorway into the room I had been lying so peacefully in just a moment ago.