Chapter 1

A/N

Assalam please follow and do your salats first this book can always wait. I do not want anyone missing out their prayer because of my book.

South Africa Cape Town:
January 2012

Layla Pov

Today is my first day at high school. I quickly put on my uniform and glance at myself in the mirror. I so look like a maid, this uniform sucks. Anyway we got to do what we got to do.

I haven't introduced myself yet I'm so sorry. My name is Layla Khan and I am 14 years old. I am an only child and just so you know I'm not spoilt if that's what you think. I live with my parents whom I love very much. I have never gone to school or any place alone, someone is always with me whether it is one of my parents or both. I can't stay without my mother not even a single day. I am a loner and a boring person. Many people don't like being seen with me because I am known as the biggest nerd in the whole world. Anyway who cares maybe it's one of the reasons why I prefer people caming to me first and starting a conversation than the other way around. Anyway that's enough about me.

I quickly wrap my hijab on my head and apply Vaseline on my lips I do not do any make up and ran down the stairs.

"Assalam ammi (mother)" I greet my mother caming down the stairs.

"Wasalaam my dear, are you excited for your first day at school." she asks with a raised eyebrow.

"I am actually very nervous ammi (mother), you know very well that whoever I befriend is always the one to talk to me first. Where is abbu (father)"

"You first eat your breakfast, I have packed in lunch for you, please do put it in you bag." ammi says going up the stairs I think, to call abbu.

          ___________________________

Abbu and I sit in the cab and drive to school. Abbu cames right outside the gate before we depart. Yes I'm a scarey pants, but who cares nobody at all or so I thought.

As I walk inside the school my head hung low and my bag filled with heavy books.

"Look another nerd entres our school and you know what she even brings her father to school with her what a loser." I hear a comment passed by a group of senior students that I walk  pass.

I ignore them and walk up to a tree and sit under it as I wait for the bell to ring. I hope high school will leave some good memories. I really do. I am lost in my thoughts for a while before I hear the bell ring.

"All grade 8 students please form a line here." I hear an elderly man speaking. He must be a teacher or worse the principal. "We will be calling all your names out and you follow the teacher who your name is under. Okay" he says and I listern attentively to when my name is called out.

After my name is called out a brunch of more students are called out which would also be in my class I guess and once every single student in my class was called out we followed our teacher.

After everyone was seated I follow my eyes to find a seat in the front row and found a row which is completely empty. I didn't want to take a seat in the row which was completely empty but I sit down anyway. After a while my teacher introduced herself as our maths teacher and the whole class groaned in annoyance.

I love maths, it's the best subject. I look at everyone and they are all sulking. The whole world hates maths but I don't.

I look around and see only a single other hijab girl in my class. I guess she could be a friend, but I should just wait for her to approach me. I don't need any new fake friends. The friends I had in primary school where all fake except for two of them. They weren't Muslim but they were better friends than the others who actually were Muslim.

When the bell rang our teacher informs us that we could leave our bags in class or we could take it out with us. I left mine in class because that's what we did in primary school.

I took my lunch box and sit in a corner eating it, when I noticed that everyone in class had actually brought their bag out with them and nobody had lunch boxes. Maybe I should have actually taken out my bag I'll do it when it's  second break.

Lost in my thoughts I sit back and start thinking about what would happen in my life when someone taps my shoulder.

"Excuse me, can I sit here please with you." someone asks me. I look at the person to see that it is the same girl in my class the only hijab girl besides myself.

"Yeah sure" I say in a shy manner.

"Assalam" she greets me "sorry for not greeting first it's just that I first wanted to know if your okay with me sitting here." she talks none stop.

"Wasalaam" I say cutting her off. "You sure speak alot."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that" she says in an embarrassed tone.

"No, it's fine, what's your name?"

"Oh my Allah, I talk so much that I even forgot to introduce myself. Fatima Ahmed" she says shaking hands with me.

"Layla Khan" I smile at her. Friends I want to say to her but I hold myself back just incase she has other reasons.

"So, friends...." she asks.

"Yes, friends" I say and grin at her.

"Oh my Allah, I really thought you would refuse because I talk too much and, well you talk too little." I just smile at her.

"I'll talk more once we get to know each other better." I say smiling.

"Well then we should get to know each other fast and quickly." she says playfully and I laugh at her cuteness. It actually seems like we know each other for long.

           __________________________

"Ammiiiii (motherrrrrr)" I say cheerfully and spin her around for a few seconds.

"Wasalaam to you too Layla" ammi says in a teasing manner.

"Sorry Asalaam ammi"

"Tell what has gotten you so happy that you forgot to greet even."

"Ammi you won't believe me." I say trying to annoy her. My mother and I have more of a sister bond than a mother and daughter bond.

My mother and her siblings where eight children in total and I have no siblings at all can you believe it.

"Layla" she says in a warning tone which doesn't affect me at all but I just give in otherwise she will get angry.

"Okay, okay ammi." I hold my hands up in surrender. "I made a friend today." I finally burst the bubble.

"Really, you know what would make me more happy. It is if you were the first once to talk so tell me did you talk first." ammi asks with excitement.

"Unfortunately not ammi." I say in a sad tone.

"It's fine totally my dear you must be hungry after caming from school, I'll set the lunch table you go get dressed in the mean time okay dear." she smiles at me and gets up from her sitting position on the couch.

A/N

Assalam I don't really know how the first chapter is so if it's boring I'm sorry and you only need to wait a few more chapters to get excited and totally on a roll.

Please

Comment

Vote

Share