55.

I was nervous. No, that's an understatement. I was shitting myself with the anticipation of having Ebony back or, worse, being told that there was no hope. "I can hear you, baby," I said, pacing the dungeon hallway as I felt Ebony's call in my chest. "I can hear you."

"Carter, she is on her way," Leon said, entering the hallway. "I have known this woman for many years. She is a very powerful and respected priestess in the world of voodoo. If anyone knows how to help us, it will be her."

I looked over at Leon with concern. "I just don't want to put Ebony through anymore. I can't. I want her back, brother. I do, but what if something goes wrong? What if I hurt her?"

"We have to try. You cannot leave her trapped in that vile woman. Ebony would prefer death."

I nodded, knowing how much my wife detested Genevieve. "You are right, as always." I sighed nervously, thinking about what could go wrong.

"You must be the one and only Carter Morgan." A beautiful woman with long braided dreadlocks and mesmerizing dark eyes said as she shook my hand. "Your reputation doesn't do you justice." She purred in the back of her throat as her eyes turned yellow like a snake. "I am honored to meet you finally." She bowed her head at me.

"Carter, I would like you to meet my very good friend, voodoo priestess, ZanZara," Leon said, bowing his head toward her.

"Oh, come now, Leon, we are much more than friends." ZanZara winked at him. "No need for formalities."

Leon looked a little flushed as ZanZara watched him. It was making me feel uncomfortable to be in between them. "Nice to meet you, ZanZara. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me." I held out my hand to her, and she placed both her hands over mine. "I have heard of your strength and power, and I thank you for helping me."

Her yellow eyes slowly looked me up and down like she was about to devour me. It was strangely erotic as I felt her body pull me closer. "I hear you need a human soul returned to a body." She said, slowly returning her eyes to mine. Her finger was making its way up my arm very slowly.

"I do, yes." I was caught in a trance-like state as she looked at me.

"What is your human's name?" She purred, stroking my hand still in hers.

"Her name is Ebony, and she was taken from her body by a powerful force. We have finally found her, but she is weak, and I'm afraid if we try to move her, it will destroy her."

She closed her eyes and raised her head toward the roof. "The transfer of a human soul is difficult, vampire, especially when that soul has been weakened by another. I sense great darkness around this Ebony. I understand she is trapped in another creature."

"She is. My ex-wife, unfortunately." I pointed inside the dungeon.

ZanZara's eyes opened, and she looked back at me with a smirk on her face. "That is unfortunate."

"You have no idea," I said, shaking my head. "I can hear her call for me, but her call is weak."

"What is her full name?" She closed her eyes again and spread her arms out to the side, taking a deep breath.

"Ebony Summers."

ZanZara took exhaled loudly. "Ebony Summers, can you hear me?" She retook a deep breath and threw her head backward. "There you are. I hear your call. You have suffered greatly in your short time, but you are strong. Ebony Summers, your call is getting weaker. I can feel your anticipation about entering this world again."

Leon looked over at me with a concerned look on his face.

"What are you telling me, child? I don't understand your words." ZanZara called into the hallway's darkness as she went silent for a moment. "This soul has changed." ZanZara hissed. "It comes from darkness, yet it hides from the darkness." She started to roll her neck around slowly in a circle as her fingers twitched. "She is afraid to return home. She is afraid of her family." ZanZara opened her eyes and stared at me, raising her eyebrow sharply. "Your human is fearful of returning home as something has changed. She can feel something has changed, and it scares her greatly. What has changed, vampire?"