5 | Marla & Rob

August 24th, 2023

I wake up Thursday morning to my alarm. I turn my alarm off and lay back down, turning toward the window. I hear Mara stomping around the apartment outside my door and grunt as I sit up in bed.

Today is one of the days of the week where I work early in the morning and I am not excited—mostly because I spent the night thinking about a certain someone, and I barely got four hours of sleep last night because of it. I only really work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays usually, but I also pick up shifts sometimes to make some easy cash.

Pretty much sliding out of bed, I walk to my closet and grab one of my uniform shirts. Since it is pretty much the end of August, it is still warm outside for California, so I grab the short sleeve t-shirt. I also grab my favorite pair of work jeans, a pair of light-washed unripped skinny jeans.

I pocket my phone and walk out to the kitchen where there is creamer and already-made coffee on the counter. I help myself and pour some into my reusable coffee cup and add my usual amount of creamer.

"I have work most of today, so don't get scared tonight when I'm not here," I announce to the room. I remember that one time that I didn't tell them, Mara almost ripped the whole apartment apart because I wasn't there.

They both nod groggily and eat their breakfasts.

I walk to my room and grab the mini backpack I use as a purse and stock it up with snacks and a couple of other things I can't go without. I usually just have lunch at the cafe, so I don't pack a lunch.

"I'm going to get going, I'll see you guys for dinner?"

"Yeah," I hear from both of them as I walk to the front door.

I get to work ten minutes early and wave at the owners who are serving and cooking

Marla, the old lady who owns the cafe with her husband smiles as she sees me walk in. I smile back and walk to the "break room" in the back of the little building. The break room is actually a comfy living room with a TV on the wall. From the open doorway to the kitchen where Rob, Marla's husband, cooks, he waves when he sees me.

I put my bag down on the floor next to the couch and walk back out with my apron that I usually stocked with pens, two small notebooks, and stickers for when kids come in.

In walks an old couple I know well. I smile and walk up to them, "Usual seat?" They nod. I lead them to their booth and they order right away. I smiled and nodded, "I'll have that food out soon."

When it's time for my lunch, I walk into the kitchen and make a simple wrap with the ingredients lying around

When I started bringing lunch when I first started working at the cafe, they insisted I stop, and start eating there. I told them I couldn't afford it and they told me it's on them whenever I'm hungry.

"How's that book coming?" Rob asks.

I shrug. They read my first novel when it blew up—even though I know it isn't their typical genre—and are excited to see what I had to come next. "I don't really know yet. It has been years since I'd published the first one under a pen name, and it's difficult to write something in the same world while still being interesting."

He nods, "That makes sense," he pauses, "What I used to when I wrote a lot at your age, I would write from other perspectives and maybe even in other worlds, so you could find inspiration there." He flips a pancake, "Putting your characters in situations like having to figure out different types of scenarios—even if you would never put them into those scenarios—helps you learn more about them too."

I nod, that could work, I haven't even tried it before. "I'll try it."

"Do it every morning when your mind is fresh and you'll find a lot of motivation there."

I nod and take a bite of my wrap, making a mental note to buy another notebook—as a writer when I found another reason to buy another cute notebook I never turned it down.

A set of people walk into the cafe and Marla squeals. I'd never heard the woman squeal, so I stand from where I sit and walk to the doorway to see if I know who it is.

And know, I do.

Dylan stands near the door next to the rest of his siblings.

Rain, his little sister, stands at the head of the group embracing Marla.

I check my watch, I still have four minutes left of my break. I grunt, there is no way they would eat that fast. I jump to my first idea and walk to the kitchen.

"Hey Rob, you want any help in here?"

He turns toward me and the orders on the counter next to the stove. He shrugs, "Not really, why? Tired of serving?"

I put my hands up, palms forward, "No, never."

He laughs, "Okay, get out there then."

I sigh and prepare myself to walk out into the dining room. They aren't even in my section of the restaurant so I shouldn't-

"Is that you Rylie?" I distinctly hear Dylan's voice behind me.

🪿
Always have to have the old couple! 🤪

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: April 8th, 2023