19 | Confrontations

September 19th, 2023

"Alright and there you go, is there anything else I can get you?" I say to the usual old couple that comes to the cafe.

The old lady looks up from the fresh plate of scrambled eggs, "Thank you dear, could I have some ketchup please?"

A soft smile touches my lips, "Of course, miss, would you like some salt and pepper too?"

"Oh yes, we would like that," her husband says.

I walk to the kitchen window and grab some ketchup, salt, and pepper from over the counter. Rob catches my eye.

"How was your weekend with Dylan, I didn't get to ask on Monday since you were gone." I bite my lip at the memory of calling in sick for a stomach bug on Monday. I really was just exhausted and needed a break from working and writing.

I giggle and put my forefinger to my lips to motion to keep it down. I and Dylan were strictly not letting the news out, and besides my roommates and his family, Rob and Marla were the only ones that knew about us. If there was going to be an us.

"But seriously, tell me," he smiles encouragingly.

I put my forefinger up to pause the conversation so I can give the old couple their condiments. When I'm back I put my elbows on the window counter.

"We went to his parents' house here in Claremont, and we just hung out with them for most of the time. It was really fun. They were more down to earth than I thought they would be."

Rob smiles, "Yeah, they used to bring their kids in here when we were all ten years younger... now it seems the kids just come around sometimes."

I look down at my clasped hands and my smile falters. I really do like being around Dylan, and his family too even, but there was something still pulling at the back of my brain. "Do you know anything about the... fame? Does it bother any of them?"

Rob's smile turns sad, "It seems the youngest one, Rain, struggles the most with it. That might be because she is constantly in the eye of the paparazzi." He searches my face. "If you're worried about all of that, you shouldn't. The family has kept many, many relationships secret, you would never guess when they were with other people." He pauses and adds, "They can hide you for as long as you need, or want them to. They are good people, they would never expose you either to the word unless you wanted that."

I nod as I head a table burst into laughter behind me. I nod and turn toward the table, a smile propping my lips up. "What can I do for you guys?"

 "What can I do for you guys?"