12 | Torn apart dreams

September 5th, 2023

Three days after Marla was hospitalized, Rob comes to me after my usual shift and asks if he can talk to me. I look back at Marla, usually they do these kind of serious conversations with me together.

He raises his eyebrows to ask if I'll follow him. I look back at Marla as she wipes down the last couple of tables, then back at him. I shrug and nod, following him to the break room. He closes the door behind him and sits down in the armchair across from the couch.

I scoot forward so that my bottom is barely on the tip of the cushion, "What's wrong?" I know that look on his face well.

He looks up at me but looks down at his hands again, "Marla has a disease that is causing heart attacks. At first it was just chest pain and she had started to lose her breath a lot easier lately, but we thought it was nothing. This diner doesn't make us enough to pay for us to go to the doctor a lot so we couldn't catch it soon enough."

I don't know what to say. My mind is completely blank.

First, because there is no way she will be working here a lot longer, which means they will have to hire another employee which they probably can't pay for. Then there is also the fact that if she doesn't get medical help, her heart attacks will become more frequent.

"I think we have to sell the cafe," he says distantly.

I go pale, "I can work extra hours, for free, just give me a little extra time, maybe a couple of months?"

"I and Marla have discussed it. We are both way too old to keep doing all of this, we need to retire soon, and I know we promised the cafe to you, but we really need the money."

I nod. This had been the only thing I had wanted for the past three years, and I know it is selfish, but it is being ripped from me. Probably by some rich person out there that wants to rip it down and build something else on the land. Maybe a lavish house, or upscale grocery store. I don't let myself cry.

"I hope you guys get enough from it at least."

He nods, eyes glassy, "I really sorry, Rylie, I know you wanted this. We just can't wait anymore."

I shake my head, "Don't worry about me, I'll find a different way in this world. I'm writing my second book right now you know?" I say. It goes quiet though. We both know that it won't make me nearly enough to live off of.

He nods all the same, and I don't take offense to him not recognizing it. I say, "You both need to retire soon, you guys have worked your whole lives and this cafe needs to be passed onto someone else now. whether it be me or someone else out there. Marla needs help and that's what is more important right now."

"Yeah, it's just difficult to let go of something we grew together."

I stand and rub his shoulder, "I know..."

Later that night I stare at the fire safe in the bottom of my closet

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Later that night I stare at the fire safe in the bottom of my closet.

I palm my forehead then grunt as I bend down and try to pick it up. It is heavier than I thought. I sigh and try again, this time I'm prepared. I maneuver it out of my closet and set it down on the floor with a loud thud. I cringe for my lower neighbors.

Scratching my head as I walk to my nightstand—I can't believe I'm doing this. I open the only drawer in the nightstand and pull out the key that's in there. Besides it, there is nothing but a few gum wrappers and some nicknacks.

I pinch the key between my fingers and turn around. Lowering to the floor to get a better access to the keyhole, I take a deep breath.

Fumbling with the key for a couple seconds, I finally get it turned, unlocking the firebox. I gently open it and gaze down at the contents.

Aside some mementos my mom left behind for me, there is my only way of being able to buy the cafe.

120,000 dollars.

🪿
Sorry ik it's been a couple of days since the last update, but here we are now :)

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: April 12th, 2023