37 | February

I pull a couple of stickers from my apron for a small family sitting in Rob and Marla's booth-a young couple with two kids that look anywhere from five to eight.

Since Rob and Marla still love the cafe so much, I offered them jobs while I got settled into the groove of things when I bought it out. They graciously accepted and settled back into their normal roles at the little cafe.

On this day though, I and Nina are serving customers while Mara cooks in the back. It's fun to see her in her element and she looks happy enough to even do it for free. She'll still be getting a check from me at the end of the week.

Marla had another small heart attack a week ago, and I'm trying hard not to worry about her.

I smile and walk to the window between the kitchen and the dining room. Mara doesn't even notice me as she flips a pancake with no spatula.

"Having fun?" I ask her, elbows on the counter.

She whips around with a stack of pancakes in one hand with a smaller plate of scrambled eggs in the other. "Yes! Do you know how exhilarating it is to be in charge of my own kitchen?" She does truly look exhilarated.

I laugh, "No. But from the look on your face, you look truly exhilarated." I mock her, but as she places the plates onto the counter for me to grab, it's clear she didn't pick up on it.

She nods excitedly as she puts the plates in front of me and chimes the bell, alerting I and Nina another dish is ready.

But then something weird happens. A look I hadn't seen in months passes over her face as she looks behind me. A smile pulls my lips up as I say, "What?" and start to turn my head. My smile drops immediately and my entire world pauses as Dylan Woods, and his passé of a family come into my view.

All of them. His parents, his twin brother, his older brother, his younger sisters, and brother, shuffle into the doorway of the cafe.

🪿
TTPD reminds me so much of Rain and Orlando somehow 😭 I love taylor sm 🫶🏻

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: May, 8th, 2024