34 | The truth

November 4th, 2023

At first, I was scared to let everyone know my story. I was so scared of giving them what they wanted-the real me.

But now that I'm sitting in Warren and Clary's living room in downtown Portland, and I'm not so scared anymore. My friends knew a little about this little project, but I refuse to share this moment with anyone besides Clary and Warren. They are the real ones that got me through all of the newfound attention.

I felt guilty when I first told them I couldn't talk tonight-like we usually do since I moved out-but I remember how it's game night at UCLA and they are probably at some football game anyway.

"I can't believe it's releasing in an hour," I bite my nails.

Usually, CelebInsights releases their articles and tabloids around 4:00 am. Warren and Clary told me it's something to do with when people typically wake up or something. I got confused about why it matters, so I just zoned them out.

"It's a big deal," Clary squeals, clinking my champagne with hers.

There's music blaring through some speakers near the TV, and I know there is going to be a noise complaint in approximately two seconds. Clary and Warren don't care though, because they are dancing around the room. I don't dance unless it's a big crowd-since the large people usually hide my hideous movements-so I sit in an armchair, sipping my champagne.

Clary eventually pulls me up though and says, "Come on we won't judge you, we've known you for like forever!"

I laugh and start to sway my hips to the music, "We've known each other for nine days," I contradict. But I don't mind, because Warren breaks out into hardcore, highest-level dance moves and I crack up and start moving just like him.

"See! You look great!" Clary yells over the music.

My phone pings in my hand eventually and I look down, nervous. It's just a text message from Amy. "I can hear your music from the hallway, be careful" but I know she's only being silly. I still turn down the music as there's a knock on the door.

She knew about our party since Warren came down a couple of times to her house to make sure we had everything set, so Amy knew we were having this mini-party.

Clary rushes to the door, me behind her. She has it open before I get there.

Amy is at the door smiling at the scene behind us. There are streamers strung up-half falling off the walls actually-and mini finger food dishes everywhere. "I brought you guys some dessert, I didn't hear you guys discuss something for after dinner in your itinerary."

I smile and take the dish from her, "Thank you!"

She laughs and walks down the hallway after saying, "Have fun, kids."

Clary yells her thanks down the hall at Amy and slams the door, desert now in her hands.

She waves to Warren, "Rylie's mom brought some desert thing!"

He oooo's at it and walks over, turning the music down even more. We take the foil off the top and are greeted by her homemade s'mores dip with graham crackers in a bag to the side.

I go to grab a graham cracker and Warren swats my wrist. I scowl at him. "What?"

"Let's save it for after the release."

I roll my eyes and go back to my champagne on the coffee table.

A couple of hours later all of our phones ping with the most anticipated notification of my life. The one where I-Rylie Hickens-tells my story.

Not some reporter or journalist's view of my life.

Not some random person on the streets overhearing my story.

Not even my friends' interpretation of my story.

My story.

🪿
I'm so, so sorry for not posting in a while. I've been super busy and caught up in my real life relationship. After I had to put my dog down I took a while to emotional recuperate but I'm back now. Please forgive me 🙂‍↕️

ALSO ya' girl is 19 now!!

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: May 8th, 2024