29 | Kim Possible

October 31st, 2023

It's the first Halloween I've had without Mara in twenty years.

I'm on the phone with them as I drive in Amy's car to Clary and Warren's house. They are on their way as well to a college Halloween party. I'd lie if I said I was jealous they still are going out without me. But I guess that's hypocritical because I'm also going out to a party.

"When are you coming down?" Mara asks.

I look intently at the license plate of the car in front of me. "I don't know, maybe this weekend since I have to get my car anyway." Since I moved out with Mara, Amy has gotten a new car but kept the car from before in case we needed one when we visited. That's the car I'd been driving since mine is still in California.

There's a long pause. They'd called me this morning too, but didn't bring up what happened on GossipNews. I thought they just wanted to know how I was, but they seemed happy enough to talk about the party they are going to tonight so since then I'd been thinking they probably just didn't see it. Throughout the day though, more cities had been talking about it, and it became almost difficult to not see the information.

Nina finally says, "We saw what GossipNews said last night about Dylan... That photo is of you not her, we know that."

"Yeah?" I ask simply. The only thing that is seeming to upset me is seeing Dylan with someone else-and so soon after our talking stage. I don't even care that they claimed the photo of him and I was actually him and Madison. At least they didn't connect it to me, it would just bring him down-further making him more mad at me.

"Yeah..." she says.

Mara speaks up, "How are you?"

Out of my two best friends-or only friends-Nina was the more sentimental one. She cares more about people's feelings and doesn't hide the emotions inside her either. But the bolder one is definitely Mara. If something is up, Nina is always the one to take care of someone, but Mara is always the one to be upfront.

I chuckle, but it doesn't hold much humor. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem a little quiet today. More quieter than usual."

I shrug, "No, I'm really fine. I am only upset he moved on... but it has been a whole month now, he's bound to move on." I pause and add, "We were never actually together, I don't even know if he liked me that much."

"He did... and I think he still does."

"How would you know that? You've only talked to him over the phone."

"He just doesn't seem as... happy as when he was talking to you. The photos show it."

I wouldn't know. I'd been ignoring him in the media since I made that first phone call to him after I talked to Amanda.

I pull up to the curb in front of Warren's-and Amy's-building.

"Can we talk about this later? I have to get out of the car now." And people around the parking lot are starting to piece together that it's me in the car, and paparazzi are starting to come up to the car.

"Yeah, talk later, love you," Mara says.

Nina speaks up again, "I love you. Be safe please."

I smile, "You guys be safe too, college parties are reckless sometimes."

We say final goodbyes and I'm out of the car the next moment-zooming up to the front doors of the building. Thankfully, a security guard named Rick stops the paps from coming into the lobby. I smile at him as I go to the elevator.

I press the level of Clary and Warren's condo and ascend into the sky.

"There is absolutely no way this will fit me," I say through a throaty laugh

Clary called me off of Warren's phone earlier to tell me that she had a couple of things I could wear and even showed me over Facetime what she had.

Initially, I picked out a butterfly costume, since it looked the most unrevealing in her hands, but I soon realized when I got here that it looked big enough because she was holding it. She's so much smaller than me that it looks so tiny in my hands now.

She laughs, "It will, it's a large, it should even be too big for you."

I shake my head, "Give me something else."

She shakes her head with a grin on her face, turning toward her tub of costumes. Apparently, she had tons.

I stop her and look down at my pants. They are green cargo pants. All I'd have to do is take off my oversized beige hoodie and swap it for a black cropped top.

"Wait do you have a black top?" I gesture how long and she immediately gets it. I smile and follow her to their bedroom, where Warren is without a shirt. She doesn't even seem fazed, but I make sure to not look. Feeling like I'm cheating on Dylan. I silently remind myself we were actually never together.

I smile and she leads me to a bathroom to change. When I come out she claps.

I spin and say, "What do we think?"

She smiles, "Honestly your hair makes it even better."

I giggle, "I dressed as Kim Possible when I was like 5. Amy used to say I had hair like Kim and I took it too far."

She smiles, "Make yourself at home as we get dressed."

Warren stands up and looks at my 'costume' and says, "Classic," through a snort.

I laugh, "Look at you." He's dressed as a devil. I'm sure we'll find at least six devils at this party.

He waves in my direction like he's deluding my argument in the air. "Clary insisted I dress up. She told me to dress up or she wouldn't let me dance with her tonight or even touch her."

Just then she barges out of their room looking like a deranged Tinker Bell. I laugh as she races through the room pretending to fly.

"What do we think?" she asks.

"It's cute," Warren says, and he seems like he means it.

She smiles and turns to me for validation.

"You look hot, if I'm being honest."

She points to the sky, "Then we should get going now. I want to get boozed up before I fall asleep."

I laugh as she walks to the door, the white pompoms on her green flats bobbing as she walks. I follow suit, Warren close behind, locking the door behind us.

🪿
My brother thought it was funny Rylie dressed as Kim Possible lol

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: February 22nd, 2024