35 | December

My phone rings with the name, "Mara," at the top of my screen.

I put it to my ear, honestly not super excited to hear from anyone right now. I just want to lay in bed and live off of the refrigerated olives in my fridge.

"Hello?" she asks through the line.

"Hi."

"You need to get the Claremont, like right now."

"I'm not coming back, Mara-"

"They are signing the cafe away and you need to buy it."

"I can't-"

"Yes, you can. You have enough money to buy it and you know that you're just too scared to let that little piece of your mother go away." She takes a deep breath through the line, and calmly says, "I've seen you attached to that cafe for years-even when you were with Jason-, Ry, and seeing you without it for the past months is pathetic. You need that damn cafe, and you know it."

A tear whispers down my cheek, and I ignore it-like I've been doing with a lot of other things lately. She's completely right. I just don't know if I'm ready to give up my mother for the only thing that has kept me motivated for the past three years.

"You have to buy it, Ry, I can't see you without it."

I only hang up and stare at the wall adjacent to me.

🪿
These new emojis are silly 🙂‍↕️🙂‍↔️

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: May 8th, 2024