22. Carving Out Some Guts

Jason felt himself gracefully and skillfully mold the pumpkin with the knife in hand, having come to just accept the fact that he must've been a knife-wielding god in his past life.

"How's it coming over there," Danny peeked her head over the table and her pumpkin, Jason barely holding back a laugh.

Pumpkin guts were scattered across her shirt and jacket, a few stray pieces of rind in her hair, a definite difference compared to five minutes ago.

"I'm doing great," he grinned, "but it sure looks like you've truly become 'one with the pumpkin'."

Glancing down at herself, Danny rolled her eyes pointedly, "Like you don't have guts and skin all over yourself either."

Jason snickered, striking a pose, "I look great in guts and skin, I'll have you know."

Rolling her eyes once again, she pointed the knife at him, "If anyone heard this out of context we'd be arrested." "Guts and skin," she scoffed amusedly under her breath, hearing Jason chuckle with her.

(15 minutes later)

"All done!"

"Done!"

Jason and Danny looked up at the same time, more pumpkin remains littered around them, triumph in their eyes as they 'beheld' their masterpieces.

"Now," Danny put the top of her pumpkin back on, "let's see who's better. On the count of three, we turn, and if we can't decide we'll track down Don and drag him to be the judge whether he likes it or not."

Jason shrugged, "I can get behind that."

"Okay," Danny grinned wildly, hands ready to reveal what the 20 minutes of time she was given had done.

"One," they said in sync.

"Two."

"Three!"

Whirling around his superior (if he said so himself) pumpkin, Jason couldn't help but feel impressed with Danny's workmanship.

Gazing at the cat that was carved into the flesh, depth was added in the molding, he could see the proud look on her face crumble into awe as she stared at his.

"How did you do that!" she yelled in a whisper, "That's so awesome!"

Glancing down at his own, Jason felt a deep pride seep into his chest, the skull he had cut and shaved into the pumpkin almost life-like. It seemed as if he just knew how a skull was shaped perfectly as the shadow and depth hit just right, the led tea light inside flickering around ominously.

"Guess I just have the skill," he gloated, crossing his arms over his chest, "now about that bet?"

"Fine," Danny grumbled at losing, though was still impressed by her companion's ability, "but are you sure you weren't a pumpkin artist in your past life or something?"

Jason tapped his temple, "Not that I know of, sweetheart."

Flushing, she smacked his arm, "Alright 'Pumpkin King', enough gloating out of you."

But all he could do was smile, her hand lingering on his arm.

"Whatever you say, Danny, whatever you say."

____

Hello fellow demigods and dear mortals, today I decided to do another chapter so let me know what you think. Enjoy!

-EthanVenlivrenVari, Cabin #3, Child of Poseidon 🔱🌊