40. Stephanie's Trinkets

"What a surprise, little Jay," Stephanie's accented voice greeted Jason as he stepped in the doorway, the bell alerting her of his presence. But considering how she somehow always knew when someone would arrive he doubted she even needed it. Like Alfred.

"Nice to see you again, Miss Steph," he waved but was pulled into a hug by the woman.

"Oh please, just call me abuela."

"Alright, Miss S- Abuela," Jason corrected himself, earning a satisfied nod from the woman.

"I heard you and Danny had won some prizes during the festival," her eyes warmed, "she called me the other night saying how excited she was."

Jason smiled gently, "Yeah, she was really excited."

"And I also heard that you were the one to give her the push she needed," Steph winked, a mischievous look in her eye.

"I guess you could say that," Jason rubbed his neck, shrugging, "but I'm sure she would've done it if I didn't."

"I'd say otherwise," Steph walked to a corner of the store, Jason following as she adjusted a trinket here, an object there, "she's needed a little push for a long time, ever since her Uncle passed away. She let her work consume her despite the need for a break, the stubborn mule she is," she laughed.

"I can see that," Jason nodded, knowing that Danny was a lot like him in that aspect.

Continuing to follow Steph the braid swayed against her back, "Her Uncle Cliff was like that too, an old Navy man, similar to how Danny's father was in the Army. They were close as brothers could be but their father passed due to a heart attack, it's why Cliff moved here years later."

Reaching for a book on a high shelf, Jason passed it to Steph who thanked him with a smile before it faded, "It came as quite the surprise when he was brought into the Clinic for a heart attack as well."

"It was genetic?" Jason questioned, frowning. 

"I'd say so," she nodded, "he was one of the healthiest people that I had known. Everyone loved the man, he did so much for us since the day he moved here. It was how I grew so close to the chaparrita, Cliff brought her in one day."

Jason placed a hand on her arm, the saddened look on her face making her look years older.

"But imagine the surprise when I received a call and heard her sobbing on the other end," she shook her head, "the poor child had just turned eighteen and had no one to turn to. No one except for her mother's childhood friend, Antonio. But he lives in a different state now."

"I'm glad she had you, then," Jason leaned against the counter, "I know what it's like to feel alone."

"I feel that I benefitted more with her here than she did with me," Steph sighed, looking up at him in appreciation. "But life must happen when it happens and one can only do the next right thing. We are lucky that Danny is such a strong and wonderful woman, this town wouldn't have thrived without her."

"Yeah," Jason nodded, solemn but a small smile tugging at his lips. Danny was one of the biggest badasses he's met.

"Oh, look at me going on like an old woman," Steph waved a hand with a laugh. "Now, how about we have some tea and then you can tell me why you came to visit." Watching her turn with her hands on her hips, like a certain green-eyed woman he knew, Jason smiled.

"I'd love to, Abuela."