26. Breakfast and Musicals

Danny's nose twitched, a warm and inviting smell penetrating her sleep. Blinking her eyes open slowly, stretching each toned limb, she arched her back and took one last moment to appreciate the warmth of her bed.

Sliding out, toes meeting the shag carpet of her room, Danny chuckled at the sleeping form of Loki at the end of her bed, Finch asleep in his open cage.

Placing her hand softly on the door handle, she blew them each a kiss and made her way down the hall, hearing soft music and a male singing voice, the occasional sound of Sarge's nails clacking against the floor.

But Danny wasn't expecting to see Jason whisking pancake batter in a glass bowl, moving to the beat of a song she's heard many times before.

"Too long I've been afraid of, losing love I guess I've lost," he sang, sliding over to the stove, "Well, if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost!"

Smiling, Danny watched him move with grace and bright energy.

"I'd sooner buy defying gravity, kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity!"

Ladling batter onto a pan, he spun, "I think I'll try defying gravity, and you won't bring me dow-"

Jason's eyes met Danny's, voice cutting off as hers began, "So if you care to find me, look to the western sky! As someone told me lately-"

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!" Their voices melded together, and the smile Jason gave left her breathless.

"I didn't know you knew that song," he chuckled, flipping a pancake.

"I've seen the show once or twice with Antonio," she matched his bright expression, "and I didn't know you sang!"

He flushed, "Well, I guess I might've been a theatre kid in my life considering I've recognized most of the musical songs I've played on your phone."

Danny moved to help with breakfast, "You sang really good, too."

"So did you," Jason laughed, nudging her away from the stove, "and you should sit and relax, I'm making breakfast today. It's about time I did something for you."

"You do plenty for me," she blushed, "but I digress."

Sliding a plate in front of her Danny finally noticed what he was doing.

The pancake was shaped like regular, a circle, but the batter was swirled with purple, pink, and blue, and regular batter flecked across it. Like a galaxy.

The memory of last night left her warm inside, remembering the way Jason let her head rest against his shoulder, watching the stars for hours before coming back to the house. They ate leftover pizza and talked for hours more, only going to bed when the sky began to brighten again.

He rubbed the back of his neck, red creeping up it at her smile, "Last night was fun, so, uh, I- I thought-"

"I love it," Danny looked up at him kindly, reaching to pull him into a hug, "It's perfect."

Jason could only smile wider, chest warm as he hugged her back.

Today was going to be a good day.

____

Was listening to this earlier and decided to incorporate it into the chapter cause Jason Todd was the best theatre kid lol