Chapter 17 | PHASE ONE: Hairball

DYLAN ||

After we got that little close call out of the way, Dad wanted me to address some shit that had to be said to this Lion if he was going to stay in our pack.

Unfortunately, it was kind of hard to get him to say anything while he just watched Hunter in such a nasty way.

Like he was stalking prey or some shit, it was weird and creepy and honestly — pretty fucking scary.

"The Lion sure stares a lot." My little brother, Garrett whispers as he watches Roman tilt his head to the side, his eyes still locked onto Hunter as he spoke to one of the nurses.

"Yeah, it's kind of weird." My cousin, Theo nods.

"Maybe it's just a feline thing." Uncle Jake whispers as well, his eyes narrowing and I sigh.

"It's a creepy thing if you ask me." Dad growls quietly and when Roman glances our way, they all shut up pretty quickly.

It was super fucking intimidating how powerful these felines were — just being in their presence alone, made me feel like rolling belly up and baring my neck.

I didn't like it — I didn't like it one fucking bit.

"Thank you nurse. I'll call you if he needs anything else." Hunter tells the nurse before his gaze meets Roman's.

"Of course Gamma, please let us know if you need anything else." The nurse nods, sending a look my way that said what we all already knew.

Hunter is crazy.

"I'm really glad that you're awake, Rome." Hunter sighs happily as he smiles at his mate.

Roman studies him for a second before reaching out, gripping his chin, a quiet purr escaping him. "I'm blessed to see this beautiful face again, Hunter."

Oh fucking yuck — happy shits.

Watching their love was nauseating and a little annoying because I could've had that if my Dad didn't ambush my mate.

Hunter slowly takes a seat on Roman's hospital bed, subconsciously scooting closer to his mate as his body responds to the large feline's purr — which was completely arousing by the way.

What the actual fuck.

Completely lost in each other, it seemed like they felt helpless to the way each other's heart beat. Their gazes locked onto the other, until my Dad clears my throat.

Looking over at my Dad, he had a smirk on his face as if he actually took joy in interrupting their love before glancing at me.

"My son, the Alpha here," Dad smiles as he gestures towards me. "Has a few questions."

"What kind of questions?" Roman asks, a threatening bass to his voice and a snarl behind my words.

Which kind of ticked me off so say the least because nobody here had done anything to him to warrant his rude ass behavior.

"About your species." I state, just as much snarl behind my words that I could muster.

"Oh yeah?" Roman chuckles, an annoyed rumble rushing to the surface. "About the fact that we're superior or?"

His words shocked me as my eyes widen for a split second before narrowing.

"You're clearly not the superior species, Feline." I spit back.

Raising an unforgiving, nonchalant eyebrow, Roman then looks at Hunter and asks, "Who is this clown, baby?"

Hunter's eyes widen and he looks at me when my Dad, uncle Jake and I scoff.