seven | darling, let's run

How I had somehow managed to sneak back to my bed was forever a mystery, but there was an obvious reason why I could not sleep that night. So many things went through my head, so many scenarios in which none I liked because deep down, I refused to believe that my dad was actually keeping me safe for a reason, that I was something he was going to bargain with the person Eros had been referring to. And what did he want to exchange me for? His position as Beta at the pack? Would they give him his old position that easily, even after what he had done?

Then I started to have questions about myself. Why would an eighteen years old normal teenager be of any value? Why would I be of any value? I was just a normal human. I had no superpower and was no Einstein genius. I could not turn into a giant wolf at will, either. Why would that dangerous person everyone seem to be scared of wanting me?

Also, I still found it hard to believe that my father, the person I had spent my whole life with, had killed my mother, the person who had brought me into this world. How could he do such a thing? How did he look me in the eye and tell me lies about how my mom had died? He always told me that my mom had died from sudden death and it was too late to rush her to the hospital. Well, I supposed, it would be pretty sudden to be killed by your own husband! Yet, looking at my dad, I could not even begin to imagine that he would do something like that. With the exception of what had happened yesterday, he has been a kind, caring dad.

I heard noises from the hallway and closed my eyes, pretending that I did not notice someone opening my door and stepping inside my bedroom. The side of the mattress dipped as the person took a seat on the side of my bed. At first, I thought that it was my dad but turned out it was Eros.

"Gosh, Xy, you have no idea how much I hate doing this to you, keeping things from you," said Eros as I tried not to make any move so he would not realize that I was actually awake.

Eros let out an exasperated sigh. "Rob was right. I should have stayed back. I should have come with you to that wedding. Hell, if I knew that it was Ryker's wedding, I would have tried to find reasons for you not to go there." He heaved another sigh. "You probably would not believe me if I tell you how dangerous he is. If I tell you what he is capable of. I have never wanted you to get involved in any wolf's business, especially his."

Then there was a pause before Eros spoke again. This time, his voice showed resignation.

"But I supposed you would be safer with him," he said, confusing me with his sudden change of opinion about Ryker Cromwell. "He could protect you well, better than I could. The Ethereal is one of the strongest packs I know and if what Ryker said is indeed true and you truly are his soulmate, then The Ethereal will do their best to protect their Luna. It has been a long while since they have one."

I had so many questions that I wanted to ask him. I wanted to know for once and for all whether my hearing had been mistaken or my dad had truly killed my mom a decade ago. And if he had, I wanted to know why and whether it was truly my dad or, call me crazy, my dad's wolf. I also wanted to learn everything about werewolves and who Eros had been referring to. I wanted to know who my dad was willing to hand me over to. I needed to know because frankly, I did not know who was my ally and who was my enemy. Whether I should trust the guy who had claimed that I was his soulmate and the love of his life but then had ordered people to bully me just so I would come with him, or my best friend who I would trust with my life but turned out to be hiding a lot of secrets from me and plotting with my dad behind my back.

"You know what sucks the most?" He took a small pause. "Even when I am sure Ryker was telling the truth about you being his mate, I still try to find ways so I get to keep you myself, even though I know that I am not strong enough to protect you while he is. He is strong and, moreover, he is not just an alpha, he is The Alpha. Whatever he says, goes. No one would question him. If he vows to keep you safe, he will, and not even The Erebus will dare lay a hand on you."