(d) four

Fair Warning: This chapter contains sexual and mature scenes that might not be suitable for some audiences, especially those below the age of 16. But since you choose to read this story despite the 18+ warning, well, enjoy what you signed up for.

°°°°°°°

The days went by in a blur. My dad being around did make it easier, even though he was still cautious of me. I guessed he was still trying to make peace with the fact that I was a sorceress, someone who was capable of doing malicious, cruel, and unspeakable things. But, he genuinely felt joy when he recently discovered another side of me. I could see it in his eyes and felt it whenever he was telling me all sorts of things that a wolf could do and what it meant to be a wolf.

In all honesty, I appreciated everything that he taught me. However, I didn't think I'd like to go through the transforming process, even though he'd indeed said that it would get easier and less painful each time.

It was a few months after graduation when one of the rich kids at school threw a fancy birthday party at a fancy hotel in the Center. Unfortunately, I was somehow invited and both Eros and Davina wouldn't stop talking about it.

"I still can't believe you convinced me to dress up," I muttered to Davina as I watched my reflection in the bathroom's mirror. I was wearing a black sleeveless cocktail dress. One lock of reddish-brown hair curled on my clavicle. Davina did my hair and makeup and I had to say she'd outdone herself.

"You look gorgeous, babe," said Davina, giving my shoulder a gentle squeeze before she leaned forward and fixed her lipstick. "Eros came, didn't he?"

I groaned. "I shouldn't have made a bet and told him that I would only go if he does." It was a losing bet, but at that moment, I hadn't known that. All I'd thought about was if I had to go through this torture of an event, he had to as well.

"Oh, please, everyone looks at you with envy in their eyes." Dav took a sharp breath. "It's completely different with the aghast look they're giving me for having a baby bump. It's as if I might go into labor on the dance floor tonight when in truth I'm not due until two more months."

"Hey." I put one arm around her shoulders while the other around her front. "Don't worry about them. Trey loves you and he promised to be a good dad. Plus, their words only matter if you let them."

"I know." She held my hand and gave me a small smile. "Thanks for always being there for me. You even let me stay the night at your place when my parents kicked me out."

"Friends don't need gratitude, just understanding." I squeezed her hand and smiled in return.

We went out of the bathroom a few minutes later. The first thing I noticed when we walked through the door was the sight of Eros leaning against the wall on the opposite side. He had his arms crossed and a small frown nestled between his eyebrows. He looked up and when our eyes met, his whole complexion changed. His blue-green eyes were a shade lighter and his lips curled into a lopsided smile.

"Nice suit," commented Davina before heading back after giving me a look. Since Ryker had left and Eros had broken up with his mate Crystal, Davina kept telling me how nice it would be if I dated Eros. She had it in her head that best friends should end up becoming lovers.

"My lady," he greeted me, offering one arm.

I rolled my eyes and linked my arm with his. "I must admit, you cleaned up well." I gave him a once over as we walked back into the ballroom where the party was being held. "Now everyone will believe that you're a famous mystery writer."

His biceps was taut for a split second before he relaxed his muscles again. "I'm done with being a writer, Xy. I can't keep on living a double life. Triple even." He shook his head and took a glass of punch from a passing waiter, then took a big gulp. "Being a mafia, werewolf, and writer. It's too much for me."