(d) thirteen

"W-what?" I sat up and stared at Tiffany dumbfoundedly. "That's not possible. It has been two years." I wiped the cold sweat on my forehead with my sleeve, then swung my legs over to the side of my bed and stood up. "I can't even shift or get my wolf to talk to me. How is it even possible that I can experience this heat thing if my wolf isn't even here?" I started pacing the room, suddenly even this huge arse room felt too small, too cramped that I could hardly breathe.

Tiffany moved into the room and closed the door behind her. She didn't approach me or made any move toward me which was smart. I didn't even know what I'd do at this point.

"We don't have that many hybrids in this world, Xyrra," she stated with a sigh. "Not many species mingle with different species. They usually stick to their own kind. I know this because many years ago, over two decades ago, I chose to be with my Chosen Mate who's a human, and I was frowned upon." She moved to the sofa a few feet away from her, then took a seat. "Love conquers all for some people but not all people. Some choose love over anything, some don't. Many don't. That's why, as I said, there are not that many hybrids around." She tilted her head, her wavy hair fell over one shoulder as she did so. Her brilliant eyes were studying me. "Have you been using a lot of magic for these last two years?"

"Yes." I used magic every single day, perhaps even every hour of the day while I'd been living with Deidre in the East as I'd been learning and honing my skill. "All the time."

"I'm not sure about this but I'm guessing that's what represses your wolf side."

"I've been using a lot of magic too around the time when I first shifted," I argued. "I even used it for a battle which takes more energy than usual." I moved my way closer to Tiffany but still kept a safe distance between us. In the end, I stopped by tall windows that led to a balcony and unlocked it so that the night air could come and dissipate this heat.

"But was it not your birthday?"

I took one step out of the balcony, then leaned on the jamb, the back of my head was resting on the top hinge. "Yes."

"Then you probably shifted because you're of age. Most wolves shift for the first time when they're eighteen." Tiffany gave me a small smile and shook her head. "I know I'm just eyeballing this. We can never know for sure unless we ask Dmitry."

At the last part of her sentence, I frowned. "Dmitry?"

"Yes, I'm guessing you're aware of his true identity." She grabbed a pillow and placed it on her lap. Her fingers were playing with the fabric. "What I meant earlier is that he must have information about hybrids back home. I visited his kingdom once upon a time and they've kept tons of records in their library."

I vaguely remembered that back when Tiffany and I had first met in the packhouse, she'd told me that Dmitry's cousin Trish was her Fated Mate's daughter. I should've been able to guess that given the relation, Tiffany would've known about Dmitry being a prince.

"Maybe." I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. "You said that I was in heat. Does that mean my wolf will soon return? Or is there anything that might trigger it?"

She didn't answer right away. Instead, she asked me a question, "Is this your first time experiencing this?"

"I don't even know what you mean by 'this'," I answered truthfully. My hand moved to unbutton the first button of my blouse. The night air did help but I was still feeling hot and bothered.

"A hot, burning rush of desire?" She shrugged. "I'm not really sure how to explain it since I've never experienced it myself, given that I'm wolf-less. But I heard it's a desire pooling in your body and you'll be agitated and restless until you find some sort of release."