twenty five | but I knew you'd linger like a tattoo kiss

XYRRA

I felt relief once the two siblings finally stopped arguing yet I couldn't shake Tiffany's words earlier.

'You forgot to inform us that you've canceled your wedding and finally done what we've been asking you to do.'

If Ryker had truly wanted to get me here so he could finally get his hands back on his inheritance then why would he not talk to his family? If I were him, that would be my priority, the first thing I would do so I could get my hands on the inheritance faster. Instead, according to his sister, he had kept it a secret and that Tiffany herself had to find out about it from Trish this afternoon — highly likely before she'd knocked on my door which explained how she knew my name in the first place.

Still, the whole thing didn't add up and as I looked at Ryker putting his arms around his sister, I pondered what was in his mind and what his plan was. What was the delay for? Did he wait until I let him 'mark' me or something so that way he could provide solid proof? Then I recalled what Tiffany had said about Alpha Aura and I remembered how Alana had cowered during the wedding and let my hair go, I bet Ryker had used his Alpha Aura on her that time too because no way that Alana would do that on her own free will. Perhaps that was it, Ryker was waiting for me to join his pack so he could exert his Alpha Aura on me. That thought alone angered me but I kept any emotion off my face.

"Have you eaten, Tiffy?" I heard Ryker ask his sister.

"No," she replied, then turned around to face me. "I've been chatting with Xyrra. She's very lovely, by the way," she added as if I wasn't there.

Despite everything else, I blushed due to her compliment and Ryker's silvery gaze on me. "You're very easy to talk to," I commented.

"Okay, we should head downstairs for an early dinner." He moved his eyes back to his sister. "Maybe I could even persuade Dmitry to feed us or I would have to ask Tatiana to drop by."

Tiffany slapped his arm jokingly. "Oh, come on. You behave as if I can't cook."

Ryker rolled his eyes. "I forgot with your nine children you're not only proven your husband's manhood and your fertility but also that you're capable of feeding a football team."

That comment earned him another smack on the back from Tiffany as they headed toward the door. Ryker let Tiffany walk first then he paused at the door, looking back at me. "Are you coming?"

I shook my head. "I'll join you both later. I've got something to do."

"On a Saturday?" he asked incredulously.

"Even you work on Saturday."

He dipped his head and only when he looked up again had I realized that he blushed slightly. It was a rather odd contrast compared to when his face had been reddened by anger a few minutes ago. "I'll save a seat for you," was all he said before he turned around and closed the door behind him.

I grabbed my phone and saw that Eros had sent me a text. It seemed that he had found some information about the sorceress.

'I've asked around. No one knew much about a sorceress who has the ability that you described to me. But Griffin told me that he once heard a sorceress who is able to predict the future. I am not sure if this is a bunch of bullshit or if it's true. But that's all I've got. Sorry. Eros.'

I quickly typed my reply.

'Hey, don't be sorry. At least that's something. Do you have some free time tomorrow? Can you take me to the East? Maybe if we go there, we could ask around and find this sorceress. I don't know how I know but my gut feeling told me this sorceress might know something about what happened ten years ago, Er. I have to find and talk to her. Please.'