(d) twenty nine

"But, Er, there's a possibility that Blair Balfour might still be in there and what if you just killed her too!" I yelled at my best friend out of frustration. I wasn't sure how I felt about him killing my mother especially since she was an evil sorceress who knew no bounds but an idiot as this might sound, she was still my mother. I wanted her to be punished severely for what she'd done, and perhaps it would take a lifetime to pay for it but at least she'd still be alive. 

'It's done. She is finally here with us, inside you.'

'You have finally gotten our revenge.' 

"What do you mean she's inside me?" Panic started creeping inside me. My mother's magic was inside me, there was her essence there. What if it would turn me into something like her? Something awful and evil? 

'You took her power, now it's in you.'

"What about Blair?" 

'Blair is long gone, my child. Gaia isn't stupid, she took Blair's soul out of her body the second she jumped into it.' 

It actually made sense. If Blair's soul was still inside the body, there was still a chance that she might try to take over her body again. My mother would never allow it to happen. Then I recalled what Deidre had once said that our body wouldn't survive without our soul in it. That was why as soon as the soul was no longer in this world, the body would start decomposing. 

"Wait, so my mother must have kept Blair's soul somewhere near, right? To make sure that the body would remain as it was." I looked at Eros and Ryker who were both staring at me. "I'm sorry. I'm talking to the voices in my head. I've never actually communicated with them before, just being a silent participant but they're actually very knowledgeable." 

'Of course, we are. We've been living on this beloved Earth for hundreds of years and we would've still walked the Earth if it weren't because of Gaia Delvaux.' This voice was slightly older, sounded like this person had indeed lived hundred of years as she had claimed to be. 

'I still can't believe we have a cruel great granddaughter such as her,' said an elderly male voice which I assumed was my mother's great grandfather. 

'We've bred a monster, my apologies for that,' said a woman, her voice was nearly drowned by other voices. It was almost like a whisper. 

"Are you my mother's mother?" I asked curiously. I just wanted to distinguish each of these voices and knew who they were. They were practically family that I'd never gotten the chance to meet. 

'Yes. My name is Monique Delvaux.' There was a small pause before she spoke again. 'I'm your grandmother, I suppose. If you still wish to acknowledge me as one. I'm so sorry for what Gaia did to you. It seems that power has blinded her. She mingled with too much dark magic and her inquisitive mind would not allow any stone left unturned. She never did understand that some things are best to be left alone and there are things that we better not know.' 

"What about Blair?" asked Ryker, putting his hand on my arm. 

"I think my mother might have kept her soul somewhere. But with her body," I glanced at the headless body and closed my eyes. "With Blair's body like that, I don't know if we could revive her or if we even should return the soul to her body." 

'The body is dead, my child. But you should return her soul still. At least that way, Blair could finally find peace. Or else her soul would still linger, wandering around and looking for her body,' said my great-grandmother wisely. 'After everything she has gone through, the darling girl deserves her peaceful rest.'

I twirled my wrist and used my power to bring Blair's head toward its body. Then I attempted to re-attach it as I would to an inanimate object. 

'You should go to Blair's lair, Xyrra,' warned Monique. 'Gaia might have another object to store her magic. This fight, I know you're powerful and possess the Book of the Damned, but it seems rather too easy for me.'