sixteen | can't you see that I'm the one who understands you

* double update, I'm having a bad day and I hope this will make someone's day a little better*

EROS

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Young Seb asked for the dozenth time today. In his defense, I had been asking the same question for the last few hours too, and to be honest, I did not know the answer. "You just broke up with Crystal, Man. Your morale is still fragile, your emotion is a mess."

"Dude, you are being too much." I rolled my eyes at him, trying to shrug off his comment. "You should sign up and become the pack's psychiatrist or something." I picked up my motorcycle's key from the small coffee table by the door and headed to the garage.

Seb was still in my tail, letting out an exasperated sigh as if I was exhausting him, and perhaps, I was. But there was no use in giving it another thought, not when Xyrra was probably already on her way. "You will regret it if something happened and you couldn't turn back time."

"Aren't you the same person who told me merely a few days ago that," I put on my helmet and locked it securely before continuing, "I was making a huge mistake by letting her leave with that dickhead?"

"I am," replied Seb, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "But I didn't think you'd break up with Crystal over a small matter and then went to meet Xyrra only two days later."

"It wasn't just a small matter, Seb, and you know it," my reply was close to a growl.

Crystal had arranged a dinner with her parents and I had accidentally blown it. She has been pissed about it, accusing me of always prioritizing Xyrra over her although it wasn't exactly like that. When I was five years old, my uncle died because of food poisoning. I knew people would raise their eyebrows, and some would even laugh about it, so I kept it a secret and didn't tell anyone about his cause of death. Only a few members of our family knew about it. Then on the night that I was supposed to have dinner with Crystal's folks, I learned that Xyrra'd had food poisoning so I told Crystal and his family that I needed elsewhere and left. Even her folks seemed to understand but Crystal, however, was beyond mad.

So two days ago, I thought I was returning the favor by setting up a meeting between Crystal and my momma. Lunch instead of dinner. My momma loved cooking and it had been a while since I had lunch at home since most of the days I had to help with pack meetings, younglings' training, and other pack businesses. Crystal seemed to be happy at first and everything was doing well. My momma was happy to meet my mate for the first time. They both chatted and at some point, my momma even told Crystal about my embarrassing childhood moment. Then everything turned sour when my momma brought out the food. It was a simple homemade spaghetti bolognese. Obviously, unlike Crystal's rather posh family, my momma and I have always lived modestly, but it didn't make it okay for Crystal to insult the food that my momma had prepared for us.

Young Seb could easily call it a 'small matter' but I could not. If she insulted my momma then she was insulting me too. My momma had gone through so much, she had given birth while she was only nineteen, then after my father had died, she had to raise me all by herself. People could call it blind devotion but I was being filial to my momma, the one person I loved the most in this world. The one person that I must protect no matter what.

I could still remember reading a letter from my father when I was fifteen, telling me to take care of her. He had died ten years then and I found a letter addressed to me in his journal while trying to hide some cigarettes from my momma in his drawer. Until now, I wasn't sure whether my father had known that his end was coming or not, but his letter vouched that he had. Another downside of being in a mafia family was that the danger always lurked in the corner, waiting to bite us in the arse.